Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to increase my PH Level

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Need to increase my PH Level

I need to increase my PH level. With regards to the Washing Soda, Soda Ash or Borax, what exactly do I do?

1) Mix in a bucket of water and dump in the deep end?
    2) Mix and pour in skimmer
    3) Jut pour in the pool without mixing.

Thank you.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to increase my PH Level

All are really best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

How much do you need to raise it? Can you do it with aeration, like building a little fountain?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I want to do this by aeration. The pool has 3 returns and 6 of them rotate (some sort of oscillating octal circulation). The PH has not moved from 7.2 since April 26th. This is when I opened the pool. I would like to be ready to increase the PH, just in case.

I do have some other questions:

1) How long does it take for the PH to adjust in the water after making adjustments. I know with soil conditions, that it take months. I doubt pools are that way.
    2) My CYA is between 30 and 40. Can I keep my FC slightly on the higher side, say at the 50 CYA range? I am afraid of FC burning faster than I calculated.

4. Back To Top    #4

1) How long does it take for the PH to adjust in the water after making adjustments. I know with soil conditions, that it take months. I doubt pools are that way. If you add Washing Soda, Soda Ash or Borax it will ocme up all most instantly as the water mixes. Areation can take time depending on how much water movement and small bubbles you can create.

2) My CYA is between 30 and 40. Can I keep my FC slightly on the higher side, say at the 50 CYA range? I am afraid of FC burning faster than I calculated. It is safe to swim up to the shock level for your CYA level, so the answer to you r question would be yes. The only downside is you will use more chlorine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Question:

Assuming I burn off between 2 ppm - 3 ppm daily. Based on my coverage area I will need to add a certain amount of liquid chlorine. I am still only adding the same amount of liquid chlorine. Or do higher levels burn off faster? If so, then it would make sense to keep the CYA at the bottom of the range.

At a CYA of 30, the recommended range is 2 - 4. At 40, the recommended range is 3-5. What I am suggesting is to keep the level at around 6, based on a CYA of 50. Does this burn off any chlorine faster then the 30 to 40 CYA level? I am around there. Thank you.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
    Question:

Assuming I burn off between 2 ppm - 3 ppm daily. Based on my coverage area I will need to add a certain amount of liquid chlorine. I am still only adding the same amount of liquid chlorine. Or do higher levels burn off faster? If so, then it would make sense to keep the CYA at the bottom of the range.

At a CYA of 30, the recommended range is 2 - 4. At 40, the recommended range is 3-5. What I am suggesting is to keep the level at around 6, based on a CYA of 50. Does this burn off any chlorine faster then the 30 to 40 CYA level? I am around there. Thank you.
    First, the chart is a little deceiving as it is really not a range. It is a minimum, say 2 that you should never go below and a target say 4 that if you start there you should still be above the minimum at the end of the day. So, start at 4 and as the sun and organics consume the chlorine you should stay above 2 by the end of the day. Now, in some areas You may need to bump that target to 5 because you have no shade and the sun beats down on the pool all day. If you find your pool uses more than 2-3ppm per day it is an indication to raise your CYA a little.

Don't go way above the target FC, just account for your daily loss in your pool. A few days of testing should get you in a good range.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Question: Will a higher CYA level help in burning less TC during the day?

I have bumped up my daily additions to 2 ppm per day and will test in a few days to determine how much I am burning (without swimmer activity). The weather here in NJ is now hotter, which in turn the pool will consume more chlorine.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, higher Cya will help. If all else is good, work your way up to the 40-50 PPM Cya range to see how it holds. Usually, this range works pretty well for most regular (non SWG pools).
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds like youre actually in a pretty good place stability-wise with your pH. i'd just add the Borax and bump it up to 7.4 instantly and see how that holds over a few days.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.