Calcium build-up

Jan 20, 2015
Las Vegas
Hello All!

I got my pool re-plastered and re-tiled in Dec. I am now noticing calcium buildup beginning to appear on the tile. CH is consistently between 300 - 325. What's the best way to prevent this buildup? What's the best way to clean it off?

What is your fill water CH? How are you testing your water?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

If you look at the chart in the link above you will see that you are at the top end of recommended levels.

If it is truely calcium build up I would think that it would be best to find a way to lower the CH. I THINK (please do a search as I am not sure) that the only way to lower CH is to remove and replace the water.

Clean up-what have you tried? I would think about a Magic Eraser (used lightly) and go from there.

Kim

So, my fill water CH was around 275 to 300. So it's only gone up slightly . . . probably thanks to the chlor hypo shock I've used on occasion, and the trichlor tablets I float.

My results are as follows:

FC: .6
CC: 0
Ph: >8.0
TA: 110
CH: 325
CYA: <30

I check the readings, once a week at least, sometimes twice. One thing I've noticed is that my Ph always creeps up every week. I have to add 1/2 to 1 gallon of Acid a week to get the Ph to my Target level of about 7.6 to 7.4. Additionally, I brought the CYA up too slowly . . . I've had to add quite a bit of Chlorine every week as well because the chlorine levels get low. I have since added some more CYA and my levels are up around 40 now. However, the readings above are consistent with what I've been getting since the pool was re-plastered and filled. I've essentially added chlorine and acid every week . . . so, I'm confused what would be causing the Calcium Scaling. I've tried to keep my CSI in the "Ideal" range, but the pool chemistry just keeps changing drastically every week.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I have tried pouring some CLR on the tile and scrubbing it with a brush . . . didn't work very well.

Calcium at waterline is nearly impossible to entirely eliminate. You can slow it though.

Your pH management should be done more often. Likely you are North of 8.0 more than you realize. Keep it lower, and this will help....and it will work your TA down as well. Higher TA drives pH rise along with Aeration. Working TA down can help with regard to rising pH. I have the same battle, but some of us just do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.