Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This Article Claims Cyanuric Acid Chlorine Lock is a Myth

1. Back To Top    #1

This Article Claims Cyanuric Acid Chlorine Lock is a Myth

I just found this article on the web, and wanted to get input from people on this forum on it.

http://www.easypools.com.au/pool-mai...ine-lockq-myth

Michael

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This Article Claims Cyanuric Acid Chlorine Lock is a Myth

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

It seems to support our teachings here. First, they state that in Australia dichlor and trichlor are not the predominant chlorination methods, SWCG and liquid chlorine are.

We at TFP state there is no such thing as "chlorine lock" as many pool stores like to talk about and this paper references the Australian standard for pools and CYA which I have included here:
    This is reflected in Australian Standard AS3633-1989, the document that effectively governs the requirements for achieving and maintaining sanitary water conditions in private pools. The Standard states that the ideal concentration of cyanuric acid in pool water is between 30 and 50 ppm (mg/L), and that levels higher than 50 ppm retard the activity of chlorine against bacteria. It goes on to state that a pool should be at least partially drained if the CYA level exceeds this cut-off value.
    I wish US jurisdictions would adopt a similar standard and we would not have the CYA issues we do.

Now, the historical part is bunk......
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, Richard. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Michael