Veterns..please help this novice feel better....!

mrwerk

Jan 22, 2013
Hi All:

This morning I woke up to a green pool... not totally green for I could see my bottom drains but green all the same. Yesterday it was clear.

Numbers are :
PH 7.5
TA 120
FC 4
CYA 90

Last week my CYA was 20 so I added the calculator's recommended amount to get it to 80-90. I also added baking soda to raise the TA from 50. The numbers were fine during the week.

Tested today and the TA went all the way up to 120. So the calculator said to add 48ozs of Mutatis acid so I did about 2hrs ago.

Please tell me that it will start to clear.

You went green because your FC has fallen below the min for your CYA level.
You need to follow the SLAM Process to get rid of the algae.
With your CYA level at 90 your FC should never be below 5 and you should target 7-8. For a SWG we recommend your CYA to be 70-80.
The acid you added is going to lower your PH. This is How To Lower TA.

Yep if you increase the cya, you need to increase the FC too. Time to slam the pool. Luckily it just started, so if you're quick to get on it, it should go fast.

I didn't know that I should raise the FC.

Oh well... now I know. I am on the SLAM.

I'm lowering the TA by acid aeration method.

I do have a question, the SLAM chart doesn't give a shock value for CYA at 90. I need to go with that since I cannot change water to get it down. What value should I shock for?? If I follow the pattern I should shoot for 33....????

Thanks!!

Thanks a bunch...AZGIRL!

I read your thread on your SLAM Process. I didn't see what you did overnight. Please advise?

No I did not improve over night until the end. It took me 13 days to pass all the criteria.
Crystal clear pool
CC of .5 or less
Pass a OLCT with a loss of 1ppm or less
You have to pass all 3 to be done with the SLAM. It is a process that works, but requires lots of patience. You have to keep the FC levels at shock level or slightly above as much as possible.

No I did not improve over night until the end. It took me 13 days to pass all the criteria.
Crystal clear pool
CC of .5 or less
Pass a OLCT with a loss of 1ppm or less
You have to pass all 3 to be done with the SLAM. It is a process that works, but requires lots of patience. You have to keep the FC levels at shock level or slightly above as much as possible.

Ok.

But when you went to bed for the night did you test throughout the night or did you get it above the recommended shock level and restart testing in the am?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your welcome. That is not a terrible drop. It is holding pretty well. When you notice your numbers holding then you can extend your test times. I went from every 2 hours to every 4 hours once I was holding well. If you keep good notes you can even add based off the previous day's numbers to conserve reagent.

Hi Mark,
just a an observation that may give some insight.
if you lost 4 ppm in 2 hours, that is a somewhat significant drop. However is not as bad as loosing 15 in 2 hours as some folks do on really grungy pools.

Typically with a well maintained pool, you will only loose maybe 2 or 3 ppm, in a days time. Depending of course on how much UV your pool is exposed to.

Good luck on your slam. You will overcome it.
Keep us informed of the progress too! We all love to see and hear another success story.

I retested after 2 hrs and the level didn't drop that much.

I started at the recommended 35 and it is only down to 31.

I will test again in 2hrs.

Thanks for all your help...!!!!!

Good Morning AZGIRL,and Divin Dave:

Last evening at 8 pm the reading was 22 it dropped from 35. I added and went to bed. This morning it was 20 so I added again. The pool is significantly clearer. So much so it looks normal to me.

At what point do I know when to start testing the CC to stop slamming? Is the goal for the pool to hold at 35 and not drop at all except for the 2-3ppm that Divin pointed out?

Since the goal is to oxidize all organic matter, does it matter that for the last 2 days the grackles started pooping and dropping their "sac's" in the pool???...I HATE IT!!!!!!...... ever since we put the pool in.

Yes you keep at it and once your holding other than a few ppm loss in a whole day as Dave said then test you CC.

Remember the 3 criteria to be done with a SLAM
1 ppm or less loss when doing the OLCT test
.5 CC
crystal clear water

Hi again......AZGIRL:

Well....I will have to say that this is a pain.....!!! I have become a slave to my pool. But it is working the pool has gotten clearer throughout the day. Even though I thought it was clear this morning.

What should I have my SWG set at?
How often should I be backwashing?
Is it ok to be running my Dolphin pool cleaner instead of brushing?

THANK YOU ALL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.