Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veterns..please help this novice feel better....!

1. Back To Top    #1

Veterns..please help this novice feel better....!

Hi All:

This morning I woke up to a green pool... not totally green for I could see my bottom drains but green all the same. Yesterday it was clear.

Numbers are :
    PH 7.5
    TA 120
    FC 4
    CYA 90

Last week my CYA was 20 so I added the calculator's recommended amount to get it to 80-90. I also added baking soda to raise the TA from 50. The numbers were fine during the week.

Tested today and the TA went all the way up to 120. So the calculator said to add 48ozs of Mutatis acid so I did about 2hrs ago.

Please tell me that it will start to clear.
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

18x38 25K gallon vinyl, Hayward DE filter, Intelliflo VS pump, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair EZ Touch control system

2. Back To Top    #2

You went green because your FC has fallen below the min for your CYA level.
    You need to follow the SLAM Process to get rid of the algae.
    With your CYA level at 90 your FC should never be below 5 and you should target 7-8. For a SWG we recommend your CYA to be 70-80.
    The acid you added is going to lower your PH. This is How To Lower TA.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Veterns..please help this novice feel better....!

Yep if you increase the cya, you need to increase the FC too. Time to slam the pool. Luckily it just started, so if you're quick to get on it, it should go fast.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I didn't know that I should raise the FC.

Oh well... now I know. I am on the SLAM.

I'm lowering the TA by acid aeration method.

I do have a question, the SLAM chart doesn't give a shock value for CYA at 90. I need to go with that since I cannot change water to get it down. What value should I shock for?? If I follow the pattern I should shoot for 33....????

Thanks!!
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

18x38 25K gallon vinyl, Hayward DE filter, Intelliflo VS pump, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair EZ Touch control system

5. Back To Top    #5

Your shock FC level is going to be 35 per Pool Math. It's your friend !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. I will slam it first thing tomorrow morning. I dont have enough bleach on hand to slam it all at once like recommend.

YUK!!!
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Remember a SLAM is a process not a one time overnight cure. It will take time and patience, but you will succeed if thou follow the process exactly. Don't forget to run pump/filter 24/7 and lots of brushing.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks a bunch...AZGIRL!

I read your thread on your SLAM Process. I didn't see what you did overnight. Please advise?
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mrwerk View Post
    Thanks a bunch...AZGIRL!

I read your thread on your SLAM Process. I didn't see what you did overnight. Please advise?
    No I did not improve over night until the end. It took me 13 days to pass all the criteria.
    Crystal clear pool
    CC of .5 or less
    Pass a OLCT with a loss of 1ppm or less
    You have to pass all 3 to be done with the SLAM. It is a process that works, but requires lots of patience. You have to keep the FC levels at shock level or slightly above as much as possible.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    No I did not improve over night until the end. It took me 13 days to pass all the criteria.
    Crystal clear pool
    CC of .5 or less
    Pass a OLCT with a loss of 1ppm or less
    You have to pass all 3 to be done with the SLAM. It is a process that works, but requires lots of patience. You have to keep the FC levels at shock level or slightly above as much as possible.
    Ok.

But when you went to bed for the night did you test throughout the night or did you get it above the recommended shock level and restart testing in the am?
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I did my last test and add about 8 pm each night in the beginning. Then I tested in the morning around 6am or so and added as needed. I tested about every 2 hours the first week and added accordingly.
    Lisa

12. Back To Top    #12

I retested after 2 hrs and the level didn't drop that much.

I started at the recommended 35 and it is only down to 31.

I will test again in 2hrs.

Thanks for all your help...!!!!!
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Your welcome. That is not a terrible drop. It is holding pretty well. When you notice your numbers holding then you can extend your test times. I went from every 2 hours to every 4 hours once I was holding well. If you keep good notes you can even add based off the previous day's numbers to conserve reagent.
    Lisa

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi Mark,
    just a an observation that may give some insight.
    if you lost 4 ppm in 2 hours, that is a somewhat significant drop. However is not as bad as loosing 15 in 2 hours as some folks do on really grungy pools.

Typically with a well maintained pool, you will only loose maybe 2 or 3 ppm, in a days time. Depending of course on how much UV your pool is exposed to.

Good luck on your slam. You will overcome it.
    Keep us informed of the progress too! We all love to see and hear another success story.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwerk View Post
    I retested after 2 hrs and the level didn't drop that much.

I started at the recommended 35 and it is only down to 31.

I will test again in 2hrs.

Thanks for all your help...!!!!!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

15. Back To Top    #15

Good Morning AZGIRL,and Divin Dave:

Last evening at 8 pm the reading was 22 it dropped from 35. I added and went to bed. This morning it was 20 so I added again. The pool is significantly clearer. So much so it looks normal to me.

At what point do I know when to start testing the CC to stop slamming? Is the goal for the pool to hold at 35 and not drop at all except for the 2-3ppm that Divin pointed out?

Since the goal is to oxidize all organic matter, does it matter that for the last 2 days the grackles started pooping and dropping their "sac's" in the pool???...I HATE IT!!!!!!...... ever since we put the pool in.
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Yes you keep at it and once your holding other than a few ppm loss in a whole day as Dave said then test you CC.

Remember the 3 criteria to be done with a SLAM
    1 ppm or less loss when doing the OLCT test
    .5 CC
    crystal clear water
    Lisa

17. Back To Top    #17

So the amount of grackle matter will only give me a shift of 2-3ppm?

There is alot of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I cannot say anything in regard to the gackle matter. I have never dealt with it.
    Lisa

19. Back To Top    #19

The loss you need to be concerned with first is the overnight. That along with CC is the first focus. None of us can say with certainty what the Grackle matter will add to your normal demand.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

20. Back To Top    #20

Hi again......AZGIRL:

Well....I will have to say that this is a pain.....!!! I have become a slave to my pool. But it is working the pool has gotten clearer throughout the day. Even though I thought it was clear this morning.

What should I have my SWG set at?
    How often should I be backwashing?
    Is it ok to be running my Dolphin pool cleaner instead of brushing?

THANK YOU ALL
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast