Pool Opening 2015

tmodem

May 10, 2015
Hamilton, ON
Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I'm trying to figure out the chemical balancing act.

We bought out house last year in July and it had a semi-above ground pool. Never had a pool before. Approx. 16x24x5. I was able to maintain it for the rest of the summer and tried to winterize it the best I could. Now here we are in the spring of 2015.

I had a co-worker suggest pumping the cover water back into into the pool to save water (it actually was very clear water after the winter and I'm kind of regretting introducing all of that organic matter to it) . Now I'm dealing with "diarrhea" brown water. I used this kit http://www.pioneerfamilypools.ca/pr...ning-chemical-kits/club-pro-pool-opening-kit/ and it has gone from brown swampy to blue turquoise. Filter has been cleaned and is running 24/7 now

Today, I added about 3 bottles of regular bleach and its now a much more blue turquoise but still quite cloudy. I don't have a good test kit yet and I'm using HTH 6 way test strips. FC is high and PH is ideal (I added a box of Borax). Am I on the right track? I'll be ordering a proper test kit, but I'm concerned about adding too much bleach or maybe not even enough? Kind of flying blind, but overall, it is looking better. Water is very cloudy but seems to be clear. Would flocking help? It's still early for Ontario, Canada, and the water temp is about 60F, so I still have time to get things set up.

Thanks for the help!

Well, you kind of hit the nail on the head - it seems you are flying blind. We never advocate "kits" like you used because you may need parts of it, but seldom need it all. The basis of out pool care is accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it.

You state that you do not have a good test kit yet and are using test strips.

If you could add province to your location in your profile it would help so we don't have to search out your location, it's on every post. You really need to get a test kit, but being in Canada you r choices are limited to a Taylor K-2006 and as I understand it there is only one Taylor distributor in the entire country, thus the prices are more than in the states.

Until you get a test kit, the most we can recommend is adding 2 - 4 PPM chlorine (you can use Pool Math with your pool details to figure out how much that is in your case) daily until you can test properly.

Well, you kind of hit the nail on the head - it seems you are flying blind. We never advocate "kits" like you used because you may need parts of it, but seldom need it all. The basis of out pool care is accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it.

You state that you do not have a good test kit yet and are using test strips.

If you could add province to your location in your profile it would help so we don't have to search out your location, it's on every post. You really need to get a test kit, but being in Canada you r choices are limited to a Taylor K-2006 and as I understand it there is only one Taylor distributor in the entire country, thus the prices are more than in the states.

Until you get a test kit, the most we can recommend is adding 2 - 4 PPM chlorine (you can use Pool Math with your pool details to figure out how much that is in your case) daily until you can test properly.

Thanks Tim5055. I'm in Southern Ontario. Hamilton to be specific. I'm going to order a good test kit, not too concerned about the price, as my wife is from Detroit and I can have anything shipped to the in-laws US based address. Based on your recommendations and the pool math, I think I'm on the right track anyway.

Thanks Tim5055. I'm in Southern Ontario. Hamilton to be specific. Not too concerned about the price, as my wife is from Detroit and I can have anything shipped to the in-laws. Based on your recommendations I think I'm on the right track anyway
Well, your best bet for a test kit to be shipped to Detroit would be the TF-100 and I would recommend the XL option as a SLAM is in your future. The XL includes more of the reagents needed for the SLAM.

If you could add Ontario to the Hamilton to your profile location it makes it easier when we are answering questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.