Help with multiport valve and spider gasket

Before I call a repair person, I like to have an idea about what something costs to repair. Being a woman, I just want to make sure the repair person does not take advantage of me because they "think" I know nothing about the pool! Truth is, I'm the only one in my house that knows anything about the pool.

I had to drain a couple of inches off the pool due to rains. After I drained, I did a quick backwash and rinse, and then put it back on filter. Water was still coming from the backwash hose when the port was on "filter". Of course, I always turn the pump off before changing the position on the valve. So I turned the pump back off, turned the valve to the "waste" position, then moved it back to "filter", making sure it was all the way in the right place (sometimes it seems hard to get it in the correct position before lowering the handle). Now it is not leaking at all.

Should I go ahead and have a repair person come out and check it? I know many of you say it's easy to check and possibly replace the gasket myself, but I am not terribly handy and don't have much in the way of tools. Can I just open the top of the valve and look at it and tell anything about it?

If I do call someone to repair, I want to make sure they don't suggest replacing the gasket or the entire valve unnecessarily (sorry, don't have a lot of trust in repair people). How much should I expect to pay for a gasket replacement or a multiport valve replacement? By the way, my pump has only been in service a little over 2 years, is it reasonable to expect the gasket or valve to go bad that quickly?

I paid $15 for my multiport gasket on a sp715 mutiport valve. It is fairly easy to change as well. Ted (waste) & mas here on the site are very helpful in helping you through this process as Ted was great for helping me through it.

Do a search in the forum and you will most likely find many conversations about how to go about doing this. I did it, and it was a sinch. Replaced the gasket and lubed it up with magic lube before replacing it, and that was it.

I am sure someone will be along soon to help you out.

I had to change mine this year. It was pretty easy. My Mom & Pop pool store showed me a disassembled one. Basically on my Hayward I had to remove a dozen or so botls and nuts (don't loose them). Then the whole handle assembly just came off. I had to remove the old gasket, clean the surfaces. Then they had me take some krazy glue, and put a spot (really, just a small spot) around the outer edge, and one in the middle of each leg, and place the gasket on. Let dry a few minutes, then replace the handle portion. Check for leaks, all done. Maybe a 15 minute job.

Mine looked like the below, and I put red dots where I put the glue drops. Now that is how I did it by the instructions my pool store gave me.

Attachments

• Spidergasket1.jpg
    Spidergasket1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 570
If your entertaining the idea of doing something yourself, chances are you'll be able to succed in doing it. Other wise you wouldn't be contemplating it. :). Always try a repair like a gasket yourself, then if necessary bring some one in. It's a purely mechanical procedure. Bolts, parts, gasket etc. Just a bit of gluing , and some multi-ports that's not even recommended. Don't forget to drain your filter and/or release the pressure. If you can get the entire unit detached and on a more work friendly surface I recommend it. I've had a few sore backs working on ones in odd positions. Some times the old gasket comes out with a fight. It needs to be meticulously cleaned but it has to be done very gingerly. Any marring of the "channel" that the spider gasket sits in can cause leaks, so you can go scrapping away at it like it's old paint. You sort of have to "pick" all the pieces out. Some come out like nothing, hopefully that's the case with yours.

But I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless this problem persists. Often times a spider gasket can become dislodged momentarily till the port handle is spun again, and then it just re-seats itself. Just makes sure the next few times you do any operations with the multi-port you check that backwash like to make sure your not discharging water. If it doesn't happen again after a few times, it was probably a one time thing. If it happens each time and you have to "fiddle" or continually do more then the normal revolutions of the port to make it stop then it should be addressed. This means it is probably deformed in some way, and will dislodge when the port is spun in certain directions or at certain positions.

In a new installation (of a spider gasket or new pool with multi-port) I always recommended customers to spin their multi-ports in one direction . Even if it means a bit more wear and tear, because you going further around to get where you need to be. I've found in my experiences that spider gaskets don't like being "rubbed" in alternating directions over a period of time.

Well, here's an update for you...tried to backwash the filter this morning, and when I put the valve back in the filter position, water still comes out. I've tried for 15 minutes, moving it around to make sure it was "seated" properly...no luck. Sometimes the handle won't even stay up, so I don't know what that means. So I have to turn the pump off, and wait until tomorrow to call someone. I hope it doesn't turn into an algae swamp waiting for the repair!

I've googled multiport valves, and it seems that the part costs around $100. Does that seem correct? I know it may just be the gasket, but just in case the repair person suggest replacing the valve, I want to make sure I have an idea what things cost. I'm so paranoid about getting ripped off! How much labor should I expect if it is the valve and not just the gasket?

fofa said:
I had to change mine this year. It was pretty easy. My Mom & Pop pool store showed me a disassembled one. Basically on my Hayward I had to remove a dozen or so botls and nuts (don't loose them). Then the whole handle assembly just came off. I had to remove the old gasket, clean the surfaces. Then they had me take some krazy glue, and put a spot (really, just a small spot) around the outer edge, and one in the middle of each leg, and place the gasket on. Let dry a few minutes, then replace the handle portion. Check for leaks, all done. Maybe a 15 minute job.

Mine looked like the below, and I put red dots where I put the glue drops. Now that is how I did it by the instructions my pool store gave me.

I just wanted to let you know that your instructions were spot on! Finally got the repair guy to come out this morning, and I watched him do the whole thing. It turned out I didn't even need a new gasket, the handle was just stuck and needed to be lubed. The repair guy removed the bolts, and opened the top, and the gasket looked brand new. We used some WD-40 on the handle, replaced the top, started her up, and it's working fine now. I bought the extra gasket that the guy was going to put in, paid him for his service call, and now I know how to do it myself when the time comes!

Thanks everyone for all your help and encouragement. I really could have done it myself, but since he only charged me $25 for the service call, I consider it money well spent for the lesson he gave me!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.