Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dead Dolphin

1. Back To Top    #1

Dead Dolphin

Well after less than 2 years my Dolphin Diagnostic Pro is dead (something in the motor box is dead), so I have broke down and went with an Aquabot Turbo T as a replacement, at least you can buy replacement parts for the Aquabot. I am not too upset about the Dolphin as I bought it cheap off ebay (new old stock in box, discontinued model, cosmetic damage to power box.... for only about $300), the Aquabot Turbo T was also an ebay find, although not as cheap at $650, new no box. Now I just need to keep an eye out for a working Dolphin Diagnostic DC motor box as everything else is still in good shape, maybe I will find a deal on one before the Aquabot eventually dies.

Any Turbo T owners out there that want to offer any tips or words of advice.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dead Dolphin

I hate to hear that. I hate to hear any robot lasting less than 3 years, NOS or not!

I love the robot technology and ease of using it, but Im still a bit (well, a LOT) shy about spending lots of money on one. Mine is the bottom of the ladder Dolphin Nautilus. My dictionary says the 600 it cost aint cheap, but I figure if I can cross my fingers and get 3 years outta it, I will be happy. So far, Im happy as a lark with it.

Good luck with your Aquabot!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ike,

Did you actually removed the motor box and test it, or are you assuming it is bad because the power supply is good? I only ask, because I had the input power connector (where the cable goes into the motor box) go bad, which made it appear that the problem was the motor box. Water had gotten in the connector and had corroded one of the pins in half. I found that they sell replacement connectors/pins on line. Replacing the connector fixed the problem.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you try Marino pool and spa for parts? They may have it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Jimrahbe, I was working off the assumption that the power box is good, but I will check that, it appears that a pin spanner is needed to unscrew the port, is that correct?

Patrick_B, I have not, but I will, this is one of the older body style units which Dolphin required be sent back in to them for repair though.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Ike,

I just used a pair of needle nose pliers to unscrew what turns out to be a cover. Under the cover is a rubber plug or seal which the wires go through. It took some force and effort to get the corroded connector apart. Not sure where exactly, but someone has a U-tube video showing the disassembly process. At that point I knew the connector was bad, so I really couldn't make it any worse. Once I got it a part I assumed I was going to have to jury rig some type of fix, but to my surprise I found several places sell a package, I think it was less than $10, which includes the connector, three new pins, a new rubber plug, and the cap or cover.
    Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

300 is less than the motor, forget it. That's why I bought a newer dolphin, ease of parts.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.