Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can Chlorine Consuming Organisms Live in Clear Water in a High Density?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can Chlorine Consuming Organisms Live in Clear Water in a High Density?

I have a pool that was closed last August, opened on April 27th this year. The water is very clear, but I've been testing it with the DPD/FAS and K-1000 tests from the TF100 kit. I was troubled by the two tests not correlating well at all- K-1000 showed very low FC, and DPD/FAS showed (I thought) OK. However, I think I was not getting the proper pink color. I was getting a very faint pink after minutes of stirring with the Taylor Stirrer (probably should've considered it clear), not the bold, dark pink I think I need. Now that I realize this, I added 8.25% bleach throughout the day. After many gallons more than the Pool Calculator says, I'm finally getting it to register in the DPD/FAS test, turning a darker pink when I first add the powder. However, I'm still only up to 1.5 ppm (I just added more, so we'll see where that puts it). What's troubling is that the water is very clear. It seems like this problem only happens to green water pools....So is it possible to have clear water and have a lot of chlorine consuming organisms living in it?
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can Chlorine Consuming Organisms Live in Clear Water in a High Density?

It's possible you have Ammonia from CYA decomposing over the winter. In which case, your CC readings will be really high, the pool will have an insatiable appetite for bleach, and the CYA will be lower than you expected it to be.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    It's possible you have Ammonia from CYA decomposing over the winter. In which case, your CC readings will be really high, the pool will have an insatiable appetite for bleach, and the CYA will be lower than you expected it to be.
    This makes alot of sense to me as ammonia is a very well known antichlor.

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA was zero until I added some stabilizer. It's now 30-40...Is the solution to keep adding bleach? Can I just get it to FC=5, or do I need to shock it? They always used the tablets, so I'd say the ammonia from the CYA is a good bet.....
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to bring the FC up to SLAM level and keep it there if at all possible.
    Its going to take quite a bit of bleach, but it will eventually break it down.

If your CYA is 30, your SLAM level is 12
    If your CYA is 40, your SLAM level is 16
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks....I'm buying out the bleach many area stores, but I'm going to keep trying. Is there a max gallons I should add at one time? I've been adding 4, but I must've added 20 so far....
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I put in about 25 gallons today. I just checked and it's back close to FC=0. I added 12 more gallons. What's my timeline to get this ammonia beat? Can I pick some up after work tomorrow and continue, or is all lost once the FC gets back to zero?
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    I put in about 25 gallons today. I just checked and it's back close to FC=0. I added 12 more gallons. What's my timeline to get this ammonia beat? Can I pick some up after work tomorrow and continue, or is all lost once the FC gets back to zero?
    Ammonia won't keep growing if you stop adding bleach the way algae will. What is your CC reading?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I will check my CC reading this evening, as well as rechecking pH, etc. I actually had a 6.5 FC residual overnight (down from about 9 last night), but I'm just happy to have some FC showing. I added just over 2 gallons this morning to hopefully bring it to 16 and will try to maintain it there for a few days. For a new pool owner, this was really an odd thing to add chlorine and not see the FC change. Thanks for the ammonia info- I don't think I could've kept adding the gallons and gallons of bleach without knowing what was wrong.
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

In these situations it is really important to know the FC and CC levels. Chances are, the CC is very high. The answer you, generally speaking, water borne organisms are going to have a very difficult time surviving in water containing substantial levels of free Chlorine. Micro organisms especially, cannot survive.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    In these situations it is really important to know the FC and CC levels. Chances are, the CC is very high. The answer you, generally speaking, water borne organisms are going to have a very difficult time surviving in water containing substantial levels of free Chlorine. Micro organisms especially, cannot survive.
    As of yesterday, I'm sure my CC was quite high since the pool went almost all winter with no chlorine (rookie mistake- we bought the house in November- I thought once the pool was closed, that's it until spring). I had been testing CC but stopped until I could get some FC. What causes CC to go away? Hopefully I'm going to be seeing more FC and less CC, but how long until I expect CC to be in the acceptable range?
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

I can't say, and it's anyone's guess. Sunlight is one thing that helps get rid of CC, but getting and maintaining high FC is the path you have to take. You have to overcome whatever is in there by high sustained FC levels for an extended period. Once you are able to reach and hold SLAM levels of FC you'll make progress but not before. If you want me to guess, I'm going to say two weeks minimum. Its a guess though, so don't hold me to it. I can assure you it wont be in a few days.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks. I was just looking for guidance on the CC- knowing I'll have high CC for a little while won't be a shock when I see it measur ethat way. You mention sunlight- I have a solar cover on there now. Should I roll it back or do the rays penetrate the cover?
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

I would for sure. Absolutely. You'll lose some FC to Sunlight just the same, but with proper Cya levels it will be minimum. You want 3-40 for a SLAM preferably. For sure, roll back the cover all the way.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

15. Back To Top    #15

Plus covers don't like sustained high FC levels
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

16. Back To Top    #16

I have CYA right between 30-40, so hopefully it's good there....thanks for the help!!!
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes, that is good. If your pH is 7.2-7.5, you can begin any time. Better to get started sooner rather than later.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: