Observations on my AquaCal heat pump

mikech

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2014
Seminole, FL
I haven't used it in the 10 months since buying the house, so I thought it was time to put it through it paces. Here's the results before my observations.

Model: SQ110R (I think ... model no on plate starts 110)
Btus: 91,000

Weather: 100% sun all day, little wind, forecast high of 90

Start time: 7:45am
Pool temp: 80
Air temp: 75
Heater temp:78
Return jet temp: didn't take
Electric meter: 39694
% sun on pool: 0

Time: 11:45am
Pool temp: 83
Air temp: 82
Heater temp: 80
Return jet temp: 88
Electric meter: 39723
% sun on pool: 80%

Time: 1:45pm
Pool temp: 86

Time: 3:45pm
Pool temp: 88
Air temp: 87
Heater temp: 89
Return jet temp: 92
Electric meter: 39751
% sun on pool: 80%

Electric consumption was daily normal otherwise.

The air temp was taken near the heater. This location is probably the coolest on the property .. full shade all day.

We don't get full sun on the pool until just after noon, and only for about 3 hours due to location and trees. The pool is also screened. Full sun temp at 4pm was 95.

We used 57 kw total from start to finish including normal useage. At our most expensive rate (> 1000kw per billing cycle) of approx 13.7 cents per Kw before taxes and fees, that cost less than $8 to heat the pool to a level I could get waterlogged at! Actually 86 was good enough for this English blood that's used to swimming in much cooler temps. If my maths correct, I'm impressed, and will definitely be turning it on again.

I am wondering if I should have waited until the air temp was higher, so the heat pump worked more efficiently. That's the next test.

Mike
(Better change my sig)

When you say "57 kw total from start to finish including normal useage", does that account for everything running on your property or just the heat pump? Obviously, your pumps are running the entire time and on a day like that I assume your air conditioning was running constantly as well. Not to mention all of the other stuff in your house. Have you taken a baseline of your daily consumption on a similar day and subtracted that amount? Or perhaps I am not interpreting your post correctly...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.