Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weed Wacker help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Weed Wacker help!

I hate weedeating with the fiery passion of a thousand suns! I especially hate that the line snaps off constantly! I seriously moved no more than 3" than the line snapped off again! I am constantly stopping, unplugging, pulling the spool out, re-threading it, and putting it all back together only to have it break again within seconds. Its making me crazy! It is a black and decker electric grass hog. Is there some trick to this that I am unaware off?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weed Wacker help!

Personally, I did away with the spring loaded spool on my weed whacker years ago. Get'cha one of these:

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/Product...content=174027

Or similar, likely available locally at your hardware store.

You'll be glad you did.

3. Back To Top    #3

This one doesn't have a bump feed. It allegedly uses centrifugal force to feed the line.
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    This one doesn't have a bump feed. It allegedly uses centrifugal force to feed the line.
    Yeah I'm.... Not a believer in any of those spool feeders. Too many things can go wrong. The static type spinner head got rid of all the problems, for me anyway.

And for the really tough stuff I even use piano string on the manual spinner. Old guitar string works too

5. Back To Top    #5

Buy thicker trimmer line.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

If I can't mow it or the donkeys can't eat it and I don't like it then I shoot it with round up. I hate weed wackin.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Go get an Echo and leave that electric stuff behind. If that's not an option, put the the thickest line that yours will take. The Echo line is really good stuff also. I used to use some red Shakespeare line, and it broke a lot even though it was thick. The Echo stuff doesn't break off.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

I second the Echo weedeater! Its a lot of weed eater, but man, I LOVE that thing. Starts easy every time, and you dont have to take off the spool to put on new line. Line up 2 arrows on the head, which lines up the hole on each side...poke the string through and even them out, and twist the head and it winds up the string. Easy Easy Easy, and it will flat out whack some weeds too!

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    Go get an Echo and leave that electric stuff behind. If that's not an option, put the the thickest line that yours will take. The Echo line is really good stuff also. I used to use some red Shakespeare line, and it broke a lot even though it was thick. The Echo stuff doesn't break off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a Stihl string trimmer and occasionally the string breaks off in side the hub. Yes, it is a pain in the hind quarters. I find that it mostly happens when the spool is getting empty.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

A third for the Echo. I put the best string I could find on there and I may have to re-spool the line every other year. I think I've had my trimmer since '98 and it's still starts with 3-4 pulls.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

Is there an Echo in here?

I fourth an Echo. I have one I bought 9 years ago, the GT-230. It has the "bump head" spring loaded spool. It is a great trimmer that has not let me down, ever. To go with that, the Echo Crossfire trimmer string/line they sell is good stuff too. My dad had an older Echo GT-2000 that he bought back around '97, and it's still doing well.

Nearly everything for yardwork I own, except for the lawnmower (Toro), is an Echo. I have the weed eater, the ES-250 leaf blower/vacuum, and the CS-400 chainsaw. Great quality. From what I know of Echo equipment, they are considered "prosumer", meaning the build quality of professional equipment, but marketed more towards residential consumers. Can't go wrong with an Echo, especially with the 5 year warranty on the new equipment.

Thicker line may help your weed eater, but be very careful doing that. My father in law used .155 size line on his weed eater that was designed for .105 max. Not only was the engine overloaded trying to swing the heavier line around, but he also broke the cable shaft, twice. He has since went back to the proper size line after repairs.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into getting an Echo. I finally got the darn thing to work long enough to finish edging the curbs and sidewalks. I have a corner lot so that is a lot of curbs and sidewalks! I bought an electric edger 2 years ago but it just can't handle those St Augustine runners.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I have had my srm-225 straight shaft for about 4 years. I change the plug and filter every year, and use the echo two stroke oil. Never had a second of trouble with it. The new heads they have on them are even easier than the one they put on mine. You put a piece of string through it so it sticks out each side an even length, then just twist it to load. I paid $230 for mine I think. Home Depot has picked them up, and they are on sale for $200 now.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Do any of y'all think this GT 225 would have the oomph to get the job done?
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

You bet it'll get it done. With lots to spare. I have the srm 225. Its the same except with a straight shaft.

If you get one, I recommend to use 2 bottles of 2 stroke oil per gallon of gas. (even though instructions say use 1). And use only the good stuff. 93 octane. 87 will ruin that motor in short order.

The only thing I didnt like about it is the guard. The guard has a couple little blades on it and chops off the string so it dont get too long when you bump it. Drive me nuts...little pieces of string everwhere. Plus, the guard makes hard to see what you are whacking... but i took care of those problems pretty quick!

- - - Updated - - -

we have excellent taste in weedeaters!

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    I have had my srm-225 straight shaft for about 4 years. I change the plug and filter every year, and use the echo two stroke oil. Never had a second of trouble with it. The new heads they have on them are even easier than the one they put on mine. You put a piece of string through it so it sticks out each side an even length, then just twist it to load. I paid $230 for mine I think. Home Depot has picked them up, and they are on sale for $200 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

16. Back To Top    #16

1 bottle (2.6 oz) to one gallon of gas (50:1 ratio), is plenty. Running two bottles of the oil will put the mix at 25:1 and have a lot more oil than needed. All of my Echo's and my outboard motors run nicely on 50:1, exactly what's specified for all of them. Older engines needed the heavier mix due to the plain/journal/bushing bearings. But modern equipment (since the 60's) with roller and/or ball bearings don't need so much oil. Plus, equipment these days have catalytic mufflers, extra oil would kill that pretty quick.

That 225 would do just fine, looks like a more modern version of my GT-230.

Concrete and fences (chain link and wooden), will eat string quickly if you aren't careful. Always be mindful of where the string tips are since they do the majority of the cutting.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

17. Back To Top    #17

I have a John Deere string trimmer I bought in 2007 and it's been just a beast, with nary a bit of trouble. I use non-ethanol gasoline in it and all my small engines, makes a tremendous difference and you don't have to worry about the fuel breaking down and fouling everything.

18. Back To Top    #18

It should work just fine. It has the same 21.2cc engine as my straight shaft. I'm not a fan of curved shafts, but to each his own. My previous trimmer was a 25cc homelite, and the echo with a smaller engine outperforms it incredibly. I just follow echo's recommendations: one bottle of oil to a gallon of regular unleaded for a 50:1 ratio. It supposed to be able to last two years with the stabilizer in the oil. I'm using gas left over from last year with no problem. I used mine for a couple years mowing commercially, then let it set for two years while I was renting and didn't need it, now it's back in service again. It starts in 3 pulls every time. Pump the bulb, turn the choke on, pull twice, turn choke off, pull once and it's running. Let it sit and idle for a minute to warm up, and take off. It will easily cut a full path through 5 inch grass. I've cut ditches that were over a foot tall. You just have to make two passes. They make a fantastic engine.

19. Back To Top    #19

Personally I feel the best way to maintain any small engine (two or four stroke) is to make sure you NEVER use ethanol based fuels. List of Ethanol-free gas stations in
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Personally I feel the best way to maintain any small engine (two or four stroke) is to make sure you NEVER use ethanol based fuels. List of Ethanol-free gas stations in
    There's a lot of truth in that. I'm just too lazy to drive out of my way to go get it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast