CYA 0 at open

Could just be dilution and now it is less than 30ppm as readable on the test.

Or it could have been converted to ammonia which would show up as CC are you add chlorine.

I usually keep CYA at 40 during season. When I opened this year it was 0 with the test kit. Is it normal for it to disappear that much over a winter? I have a loop loc so snow and rain do get in it.

First let me say welcome. What test kit are you using? It seems to be normal this season for people not to have any CYA from close last year when they open this year. From what I understand is that the CYA may have started converting to ammonia. How does your pool look?

Raise it slowly 20pp at a time so you don't overshoot it. CYA in a sock, in the skimmer, squeeze it a few timer per day to dissolve faster, wait a week or more before testing and adding more.

I'm using the R0013 test from the Taylor kit where you fill up the vile until you can't see the black dot. Pool is crystal clear, just surprised it dropped. We did get a LOT of snow this winter, so maybe it did dilute. I just tested the water this morning and I have FC of 7, CC of 1, and I got the CYA back up between 30-40--since the test is kinda a guestimate. I guess whatever ate my CYA is dead, or it just diluted it from all the snow.

AMBesq - I see you're in NY. I'm in CT. I had the same situation when I opened a few weeks ago. And like you - we got pounded by snow over the Winter. I had lots of snow on the cover that eventually melted and went into the pool.

I'm thinking jblizzle hit on it. Dilution from all the snow melt and the CYA was most likely below 30 when you tested it.

I kept my CYA around 40 all last year. When I went to test it - it was zero - or at least under 30.

Also, If CC is above 0.5, you should SLAM your pool. CC indicates that there is something in the water that the FC is in the process of breaking down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.