Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA 0 at open

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA 0 at open

I usually keep CYA at 40 during season. When I opened this year it was 0 with the test kit. Is it normal for it to disappear that much over a winter? I have a loop loc so snow and rain do get in it.
    28k IG vinyl lined pool with Pentair Quad DE 60 filter, 1.5 Hayward 2-speed Tristar pump. Pool at least 10 years old, new liner 2012.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA 0 at open

Could just be dilution and now it is less than 30ppm as readable on the test.

Or it could have been converted to ammonia which would show up as CC are you add chlorine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by AMBesq View Post
    I usually keep CYA at 40 during season. When I opened this year it was 0 with the test kit. Is it normal for it to disappear that much over a winter? I have a loop loc so snow and rain do get in it.
    First let me say welcome. What test kit are you using? It seems to be normal this season for people not to have any CYA from close last year when they open this year. From what I understand is that the CYA may have started converting to ammonia. How does your pool look?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum!

This seems to be more common than we once thought. Glad you joined the forum!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Raise it slowly 20pp at a time so you don't overshoot it. CYA in a sock, in the skimmer, squeeze it a few timer per day to dissolve faster, wait a week or more before testing and adding more.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm using the R0013 test from the Taylor kit where you fill up the vile until you can't see the black dot. Pool is crystal clear, just surprised it dropped. We did get a LOT of snow this winter, so maybe it did dilute. I just tested the water this morning and I have FC of 7, CC of 1, and I got the CYA back up between 30-40--since the test is kinda a guestimate. I guess whatever ate my CYA is dead, or it just diluted it from all the snow.
    28k IG vinyl lined pool with Pentair Quad DE 60 filter, 1.5 Hayward 2-speed Tristar pump. Pool at least 10 years old, new liner 2012.

7. Back To Top    #7

AMBesq - I see you're in NY. I'm in CT. I had the same situation when I opened a few weeks ago. And like you - we got pounded by snow over the Winter. I had lots of snow on the cover that eventually melted and went into the pool.

I'm thinking jblizzle hit on it. Dilution from all the snow melt and the CYA was most likely below 30 when you tested it.

I kept my CYA around 40 all last year. When I went to test it - it was zero - or at least under 30.

Also, If CC is above 0.5, you should SLAM your pool. CC indicates that there is something in the water that the FC is in the process of breaking down.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

If you still have and FC reading, it's unlikely to be CYA to ammonia conversion. Dilution would be a better conclusion.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons