Green water / algae issue?

csj80

Jun 24, 2012
Montgomery, AL
Hello all,
My pump has been down all winter and I didn't know it was actually dead until end of March.. I got a new pump early April and have been trying to get all the gunk out of the bottom using a leaf rake and leaf gulper. I used gulper until net started coming up empty(meaning no leaves, but some algae) I took a sample of water to my local leslie's as I knew it was pretty bad as it had been sitting with no cover or anything all winter. I wanted to kill all algae and "clear" pool so I could clean/vacuum bottom better. Well, after they did a test, the guy suggested I put 3lbs of "super shock" powder into the water, brush sides and bottom and he told me to pour half a bottle of "leslie's algae preventer" after 4 hours.

I did exactly as he stated and about a hour after the procedure the water got really nasty on the surface(like foam on the top of a beer) It rained that night and all that foam cleared. Image

The next day I called leslies and told them I had came in the previous day and what was going on and if it was normal. This guy told me "no, its not normal, bring a sample of water and I'll test it" So I do and after test says I need to "shock pool to a breaking point" and tells me to add 8lbs super shock, brush and filter and water should clear. I did these things and water is still Not clear. So Saturday, I use the pool calculator and to get to "shock" level with my amount of CYA (50 at time) and it tells me I need to add 644oz of bleach in 121oz bottles. I actually added 7 jugs(847oz) as I wanted to make sure and kill everything in water. After two hours I went to test water and chlorine level was at 1.

After adding, I brushed pool as best I could and filter hasn't turned off. Now my levels are sort of getting out of balance and I don't know what to do. Please help!? I am ready to use the pool for target practice with hand grenades!

Tested the water about an hour ago and this is the results.

TH - 100
TC - 1
FC - 0
pH - 7.5
TA - 60
CYA - 40 (This is after I added 16 oz this morning about 9 am following pool calc)

Pool is 24' round - 13500 gallons
SWG for chlorine

Water is green now and and I can't see but maybe 5-6 inches deep into water.

Thanks for reading and with any advice/help you can give... I have spent probably close to $200 this last few weeks on chemicals and im getting pretty fed up with it.

I have a simple liquid test kit that measures ph, ta, chlorine,bromine and using 6 way test strips from "my salt pool" What made me add the bleach is reading the SLAM process. I know it said to have a " FAS-DPD chlorine test" but I don't atm and wont be able to get one until next week probably.

That foam is pretty normal, actually. Check the pictures in this thread. Or this. The store clerk is mistaken.

If you want to clear that swamp and never have to deal with it again, you need your own proper test kit. Do not trust pool store testing or pool store advice.

I'll just stop with that. Others will no doubt be along to :hammer: on you some more. :mrgreen:

Ok, I will take Richard up on that, remember pool stores are not your friend, they are in business to make money off of you, not to cure your problems the cheapest and easiest way possible. Chance are all your pool needed was some pH adjustment and a LOT of bleach, and maybe a bit of CYA adjustment, unfortunately chances are all that bleach you used, and all that expensive algaecide has been wasted, money down the drain. What you need is a quality test kit so you can test yourself, and follow the SLAM procedure in Pool school, this involves keeping the FC level up and testing several times per day to keep it elevated, but not so high that it damages the pool or equipment until all the algae is gone, simply spiking the FC once and not killing all of it only sets it back a day or so then it right back where it was. Algaecide may have a place (although we almost always suggest not using it) in prevention of algae, but does almost nothing to kill it once it is growing, you need chlorine for that.

So get a good kit, see my signature for the TF-100 link, read up on the SLAM process and hit it hard and keep hitting it hard until it clears up once you have the test kit in hand.

Ike

p.s. go ahead and order the XL option on the TF-100 you will likely need it for the SLAM

Ok, it's been a while but since I last posted on here, I have gotten a Taylor-2006 test kit. I have poured LOADS of bleach in, spent many hours brushing and doing some backwashing(rain almost everyday for last two weeks as well). Pool is STILL green. I was going to give Natural Chemistry's Pool First Aid a shot. I kept FC at 25-30 for a few days in a row and it stayed constant for 2 days, then started dropping slowly. Bottle of first says says "for best result, use when FC is below 5ppm" So I waited for it to hit 4ppm, and added directed amount yesterday afternoon. Pool has no change this morning. I Just tested water again about 20 mins ago and here are the readings:
FC-3.8
CC-0.8
pH-7.6
TA-90
CH-100
CYA-45

I am ready to give up, only reason I have fought with it this long is because my two daughters keep asking about the pool being ready... I have never had this issue in the past! =/

http://imgur.com/fWlCbyM

No, don't give up! Don't go back to pools store products! A SLAM is a process that takes time. It works if you are patient.
Before giving up consider a couple of things.

1. the pool store is there to take your money and will sell you products that will take hundreds of dollars if not more to fix your pool.

2. If you don't want to stick it out for the TFP methods to work due to the little ones wanting to swim, then it would be cheaper to drain the pool and refill it than spending money at the pool store.

- - - Updated - - -

If you decide to stick with it. We are here to support you.

Your FC is way to low. You have to keep it up at SLAM levels or above until you pass all of the criteria.
If you let it drop at all it is like starting over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.