Cdclw

^to my mind, since you'll want to lower the cya anyway, a partial drain, eg 30%, would be worthwhile. But that's your call.

What's important is that your FC level at Slam matches the Fc:cya level in the chart (see my sig) ...or is slightly above. Any time you drop below that ratio you are in effect, wasting bleach -- aka taking a knife to a gun fight ;) That's because algae can grow faster than inadequate levels of chlorine can kill.

So whichever way you go, don't go "halfway" -- slam it and bring the FC up frequently enough to remain above your FC evil as often as possible. Precision is your friend ;)

Re: wife and phosphates, ask her if she's rather you killed an attacking zombie or just tried to starve it ;) Maybe that analogy will get through. Dead algae don't eat. The goal is to have a compete dead zone by having completely sanitized water...through correct FC! And remind her that algae isn't the ONLY thing you're killing with properly sanitized water...you're killing bacteria and fungi as well.

I have uber-high phosphates 100 times higher than the pool store would advise, (because I am on well and use metal sequestrant) and I have not had to address a spec of algae since recovering the swamp and following the TFP method.

thanks, yeah, I think I need to work on cya.. the reason I didn't get to slam level is because it looked mathematically impossible...each adtnl gallon of Clorox seemed to increase FC by less..not linear,,, at some point the amount of chlorine required becomes ridiculous.., a better off to drain....

That is because the FC was being consumed by stuff in the water and broken down by the sun. Each bottle was still adding the same amount of FC. Sounds like you just need to keep adding more if it was not rising. That is the Maintain part of the SLAM process.

Report back when you have lowered your CYA to something reasonable ... trying to haphazardly clear and then maintain a pool with high CYA is just not likely to work and we all just sit here spinning our wheels.

There are a couple of issues related to your CYA level.

#1 CYA issue
100 is the maximum reading for the test, in reality it could be 200 or 300 or more.

#2 CYA issue
Chlorine level is based on CYA level on this chart, Chlorine / CYA Chart
If it is "only" 100 then the shock level is 39, which means the FC level needs to be maintained at 39 through the entire SLAM

It would be best to drain a third or so of your pool, refill and test CYA again. Repeat as necessary until you get CYA to around 50. or 70.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, a week later from slam, and no algae...even though I didn't quite get to the slam level for my CYA... SWG Seems to be working now that algae bloom is dead.. does my 100 cya help keep me my FC high at 8ppm? only added 1 gallon of kemtek chlorine this week. The problem I have now is cloudy white water...here are the numbers, with ridiculous CA & CYA:
FC 8
CC 1
PH 7.6
CA 1300
CYA 100
Salt 3.1

I know, need to drain, but I'm on water restriction....?
Thanks

So, a week later from slam, and no algae...even though I didn't quite get to the slam level for my CYA... SWG Seems to be working now that algae bloom is dead.. does my 100 cya help keep me my FC high at 8ppm? only added 1 gallon of kemtek chlorine this week. The problem I have now is cloudy white water...here are the numbers, with ridiculous CA & CYA:
FC 8
CC 1
PH 7.6
CA 1300
CYA 100
Salt 3.1

I know, need to drain, but I'm on water restriction....?
Thanks
You're in one of the few areas that has reverse osmosis available.
Home - Pool Services Technologies - Never Drain Your Pool Again !Pool Services Technologies Never Drain Your Pool Again !

With a CH > 1000 ... I would think you would want the pH lower than that.

- - - Updated - - -

But with CH and CYA that high, you really need to lower them one way or another.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.