One for the experts....on evaporation

Sep 11, 2013
Cocoa, fl
image.jpgimage.jpgI maintained my moms pool for 20 plus years. It was concrete then plaster. Very basic no extras.
I never had to add water (due to evaporation). I would go six months or more never adding water.

Sooooo. My current pool is concrete that looks like beach sand. Rock waterfall about ten feet wide and four feet tall. Built in spa with overflow of about a half inch.
I did have leaks that are fixed now. I am currently loosing a inch and a half per week. I know everywhere says evaporation could be as much as a half inch daily. I don't believe this to be all my problem. Either I still have a small leak OR.......I believe that where my flagstone rocks of my waterfall are 2-3 inches below the water surface that water is being held and even climbing up to 3 inches up the flagstone. I say this because overnite with out the pumps running I can see wet rock 3 inches above the waterline and then dry rocks the rest of the way up.

So I think the more porous, absorbing flagstone rocks are causing water to rise up the stone therefore causing extra evaporation off those rocks.

So my question is...would this theory be correct? And would a coating of clear resign applied to the rocks below the water level and upwards of a inch or so keep the rocks from absorbing the water and causing it to rise and the evaporate? Or was my moms pool a fluke of nature? (UPWARDS OF SIX MONTHS OR MORE WITHOUT ADDING WATER.)

Thanks.

Last edited:
First I would ask you to update your profile to include city/state, cit/province or even country. Advice we give is many times based on the locations involved. If mom's pool was in Portland, OR and yours is in Marathon, FL there may be a difference in evaporation between the two.

Porous rocks may cause a wicking action, thus increasing evaporation.

You could do two bucket tests, one with the pump running and one with it off to see if you have differences is evaporation.

Set a bucket on one of your steps and fill to the water level so it matches inside and outside. After 24 hours if there is a difference in level between inside/outside you know something is happening. Usually the outside will drop faster than the inside if there is a leak and/or higher evaporation due to your rocks.

First I would ask you to update your profile to include city/state, cit/province or even country. Advice we give is many times based on the locations involved. If mom's pool was in Portland, OR and yours is in Marathon, FL there may be a difference in evaporation between the two.

You could do two bucket tests, one with the pump running and one with it off to see if you have differences is evaporation.

Set a bucket on one of your steps and fill to the water level so it matches inside and outside. After 24 hours if there is a difference in level between inside/outside you know something is happening. Usually the outside will drop faster than the inside if there is a leak and/or higher evaporation due to your rocks.

So what do you think about the resin ?

The resin will most likely fail to make much difference.

Is there another reason to fix this other than the water loss? Your loss seems normal to me and what is abnormal is NO water loss. Your Mom's pool sounds completely abnormal to me......I'm not sure we have ever heard of that on the forum.

The resin will most likely fail to make much difference.

Is there another reason to fix this other than the water loss? Your loss seems normal to me and what is abnormal is NO water loss. Your Mom's pool sounds completely abnormal to me......I'm not sure we have ever heard of that on the forum.

Well, if I have to add a inch or two every week, how can I keep my numbers in range?
I guess I'm just used to my moms maintance free pool, and assume that much loss of water means something's wrong.

Monitor the salt level. I have a leak in my pool 600 gallons per month and have to add salt every 5 months. I also lose 3/4 inch per day through wind evaporation. The salt level will tell you the truth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

What makes you believe the resign will fail? My theory is if the water can't be absorbed by the rocks there will be no wicking, or evaporating from a hot rock. I'm not saying I'm right, just looking for some science behind your oppinion that is greatly appreciated

What makes you believe the resign will fail? My theory is if the water can't be absorbed by the rocks there will be no wicking, or evaporating from a hot rock. I'm not saying I'm right, just looking for some science behind your oppinion that is greatly appreciated
I think you quoted the wrong person. I never said the resin would fail, but I do believe it will. I have no science to back it up, just a gut feeling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.