Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Pool ran out of test reagent

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Pool ran out of test reagent

Help! We open our pool 5 days ago. I began the Slaming process, but have run out of the titrating reagent to test for chlorine. The water is still cloudy and slightly green. I last tested yesterday afternoon and these are the results:

FC=11
    cc=1
    pH=7.8
    CYA=0
    TA=100

I checked our local store and they do not carry it. I do have the OTO test, but that only tests chlorine levels up to 5. I do still have the FAS DPD powder and it is a dark pink. the OTO test is dark yellow, so I know I'm at least at 5 for TC. Any suggestions until my new set of reagents arrives? It will not be here for 4 more days!

Thanks!
    inground 16x32 vinyl
    20,000 gallon
    Hayward s200 sand filter
    Taylor K 2006 test kit
    New York State

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Pool ran out of test reagent

Sorry you fell for the "cheaper" K-2006 ... this is a very common occurrence that may end up costing you more in the long run and one reason we always recommend the TF-100. You should also order more CYA reagent.

Who did you order from? Surely you could have gotten overnight if you were that concerned.

Is your CYA really zero? Was this a fresh fill and you have not added any?
    That is something you can do while waiting, get the CYA up to 30ppm. With 0 CYA, the FC will be lost to the sun everyday.
    Then just keep the FC up around 5ppm the best you can.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You have two options: dilute the sample 50-50 with some bottled water that has no chlorine and double the reading, or try to guess using the extended colors on the OTO test.

From my own research (which I hunted down here using search) Blinding yellow is about 10. School bus yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange. I never went any higher than that, but it's been reliably reported that it eventually will turn brown if you get high enough.

Neither method is really adequate for the SLAM process, but it will keep things from regressing to green until your refills arrive.

Why is your CYA level so low? You'll be losing most of your FC to the sun before it can kill algae. Right now your shock level is 10; with 30 CYA it will only be 12, and it will last longer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I do have a sock of CYA in the pool right now. I tested it twice so far and at the beginning it was 0, now I can see some cloudiness in the test water, but the black dot never disappears.

I also ordered more of the CYA reagent.

I thought the K-2006 was one of the reccommeded kits, that's why I ordered it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info about the OTO test. I figured I was above 5 since the yellow was so dark. I will keep levels at least to the 5 or above, until my reagents arrive. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info about the OTO test. I figured I was above 5 since the yellow was so dark. I will keep levels at least to the 5 or above, until my reagents arrive. Thank you!
    inground 16x32 vinyl
    20,000 gallon
    Hayward s200 sand filter
    Taylor K 2006 test kit
    New York State

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Sorry you fell for the "cheaper" K-2006 ... this is a very common occurrence that may end up costing you more in the long run and one reason we always recommend the TF-100. You should also order more CYA reagent.

Is there something that I am missing that I can order to add to my test kit? Or do I really need to have the TF-100?
    inground 16x32 vinyl
    20,000 gallon
    Hayward s200 sand filter
    Taylor K 2006 test kit
    New York State

6. Back To Top    #6

The K2006 is fine, it just does not have as much of the reagents that you actually use so you run out and have to spend more on refills.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Aymerz View Post
    Is there something that I am missing that I can order to add to my test kit? Or do I really need to have the TF-100?
    They're the same reagents. The TF100 has bigger bottles of the stuff you use the most. The K-2006 has them all the same size so they fit in that blue case. You also have the acid and base demand tests that aren't all that useful when you can use poolmath. There's no reason to spend more money on a whole new kit. Just order refills.

psst: you can get K-2006 refills here
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you for the replies. We're having unusually warm weather for NYS, so I am anxious to get the water swimmable!
    inground 16x32 vinyl
    20,000 gallon
    Hayward s200 sand filter
    Taylor K 2006 test kit
    New York State

9. Back To Top    #9

The fastest way to get your water ready is to follow the process for SLAMing Your Pool closely. The more often you test FC and bring it back to shock level the faster you will kill the algae and the sooner the process will be complete. Every few hours if you can.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

I believe the CYA test is easier to read on the TF-100 than it is on the Taylor kits. Taylor makes those dots so small that it is hard to determine if you see it or not.
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29