Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: still green after 5 days argh!

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry still green after 5 days argh!

this is my 1st year of opening my pool. took the cover off and WOW! clear water, just a few leaves at the bottom. very impressed! got my pump situted and ready to go, and as i was making sure all the parts were tight, the freak'n sand filter drain plug cracked! so over a 2 week wait period for the new part to come in my now full pool turned into kermits summer get away! had the water prefessionaly analyzed and is as follows:

FC: 3 (free chlorine)
    TAC: 3 (total available chlorine)
    Salt: 700(way low)
    CH: 125 (calcium hardness)
    CYA: 0
    TA: 70 (total alk)
    PH: 7.2
    phosphates: 500 '

I added:
    250lbs of salt (was doopted into thinking that 50lb bag "was all i needed last year by the pool seller" psht!
    21lbs of calcium chloride circulated retested and
    added 5.1lb of sodium bicarb
    along with adding a total of 2 gallons of bleach over the last 4 days
    according to my testing the ph is high 8ish, chlorine greater than 5
    day 3 i added green to clear and then added 72 oz of bleach at the time they suggested, i have had my pump going arouind the clock, and my lil pool bot has been running ruffly 6 hours a day to aide in the circulation of the water
    *but my water still has a greenish tent and very cloudy

am i just inpatient or should i take a diff route!?!
    central Arkansas 24ft, 15268 gal, AG, SWG (perma salt= my 1st mistake im learning),sand filter, 1.5hp pump, just installed this July 2014, Tf100 kit, Real Pool Newbie

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: still green after 5 days argh!

I am sorry you went green waiting on the part. What is your CC?i am assuming your CA is really CYA.

My pool is much smaller and took 13 days to SLAM. I followed the SLAM procedure exactly. I only added bleach, nothing else.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Azgirl is right, please break down your Chlorine readings in FC and CC so that we know for sure. We will have to assume 0 CC with TAC and FC at 3, but we want to be sure to help you as best as we can.

Welcome to the forum, we can help you fix this.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

So, a couple problems here:
    1. Trusting "professionally analyzed water" ... unless you are the professional, the test results are suspect. You need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits if you want to truly take control.

2. The recommendation they made are not good.
    2a. There is never a need to add calcium to a vinyl pool.
    2b. Your TA was fine, so no need for the baking soda.
    2c. Algaecides are not recommended and not the right tool for the job.
    2d. You need to get some CYA in the water to protect the FC from the sun.
    2e. You need a LOT more chlorine ... at least they recommended bleach.

We recommend following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up a pool which requires a good test kit and maintaining elevated FC levels at shock level (which is a function of your CYA, see FC/CYA Chart).

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I say a SLAM is what is going to help you. We need a CYA though to figure out your SLAM shock level. A SLAM is a process not a overnight cure. It will require patience and time on your part.

Your signature says you have a TF 100, is this what you used to get your professional numbers?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

azgirl.. i took my water to a pool store, for the results..... i am editing my post to show the right abreviations..... also they didnt recomend bleach, i got that from here, they recomended shock packs, but from pool school i learned the better and cheaper way.
    central Arkansas 24ft, 15268 gal, AG, SWG (perma salt= my 1st mistake im learning),sand filter, 1.5hp pump, just installed this July 2014, Tf100 kit, Real Pool Newbie

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Ok. So you do have the TF100 and are following the TFP methods correct?
    Lisa

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, since you have the "shock packs", what type of chlorine is it? Read the ingredients carefully. IF just straight dichlor, that has both chlorine and CYA. You can use that because your CYA is non-existent. It will add a bit of CYA, probably not nearly enough that you'll need to get to your recommended level, but enough now to hold onto the chlorine to make it more effective. Just my 2 cents.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

i didnt use their shock packs... i use liquid bleach and my cl is as high as it will show

10. Back To Top    #10

Correct azgirl71

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by tachmedic View Post
    Correct azgirl71
    Please post a full set of test results with your TF 100 so we can guide you properly. No reason to get store results when you have one, and they don't suggest Bleach because most of them don't sell it. We can't guide you with their numbers to complete a SLAM on your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Jason covered it all in post #4.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach