Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dished with styrofoam

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

dished with styrofoam

hi all, I am replacing my 21' Pro Series Intex style pool with a 27' AG. I'm dishing out the center down 1'... this will be a gradual slope starting 2 1/2' in from the walls... I have a gorilla pad and styrofoam cove that came with the pool package.

My question is, I really like the idea of running an inch of styrofoam as a bottom to help insulate the water from our very cold soil temps (I'm in coldest part of the country -Northern Minnesota-my gas bill was insane heating ~1/2 the water volume ) , has anyone installed styrofoam with a dished out bottom? my wife asked me me how will the styrofoam confirm the curved bottom and I don't know...

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: dished with styrofoam

Just wanted to say hello and bump your post
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Hi Lisa, I guess in AZ you likely are trying to shed heat during most of the year ...

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I am fortunate that where I live we don't get the super high temps like Phoenix and Tucson. It will get pretty hot here during Summer months but not unbareable.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

In Toronto Canada area myself. Years ago when my father installed our 24' round AG we used a good amount of sand to help maintain slope, comfort and temp. No heater, just a solar blanket and we had a good swim season from Mid May until early Sept.

Good luck with your build.
    18' x 36' vinyl steel wall pool with deep end, 2 lights and 6' steps, main drain, SWG, Cartridge Filter, 320,000 BTU Rheem heater, 3/4HP 1 stage pump - Ontario, Canada

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hi Carpenter, I used to commute to T.O. from the "Banana Belt".(Stoney Creek area),... You are so fortunate for swim weather... Our daily highs here top out at ~30 and most nights drop down to 5-11(for those going WT F , that's 85 day and 42-52 night in deg F)... And our frost line is 2.5 m (that's about 8 ft)... So as you could imagine the ground is always conducting lots of COLD...

I have 100,000 (80 kbtu true output) nat gas heater and last year it ran 18-20 hrs most days with a 9000 gal pool... Now I'm doubling my size with the same heater! I'd add rooftop solar but local codes frown on it (I think we are a couple years and a hand full of grievances before the fight for approval will be eased )...