Ok, first plumbing project complete, thanks again to everyone for their help. That project is located here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...How-much-to-do
There is a second area of my pool plumbing that is giving me problems - the area is more complicated than the first project. I have included a hand sketch below along with a photo. Its the plumbing area on the supply side on the way back to the pool and hot tub. Key history note - a few years back my primary pump seized and I had it replaced. The old pump was 2.5hp, the replacement pump is 2hp. Long story short the original plumbing was tuned to the 2.5hp pump - the flow hasnt been quite right since Ive been running the 2hp pump. Here are the key problems I'm having:
- When the primary pump switches off the water drains from the hot tub back into the pool. The right angle check valve on the main line is an old Ortega model and Ive replaced the internal part multiple times. The smaller check valve on the 1" line I assume is no longer working as well. So I need to replace the check valves.
- With the 3 way diverter valve closed to the hot tub and the solar is off I get a good waterfall coming out of the hot tub while the pump is running (the system is using the 1 inch line to still get water through). If the solar turns on the waterfall from the hot tub to the pool slows to a dribble. This used to work with the old 2.5hp pump but no longer works with the 2hp.
- Not a problem per se but I want to eventually install a control system on the pool so its not all manual. I dont want to do anything here that makes that hard to do later.
So, I'm assuming I need to replumb this entire area. In the sketch below I have noted with the red arrows where I think I need to cut. I'm looking for validation of my plan:
- Cut out the plumbing per the diagram below
- Replace old 90 degree Ortega check valve with a new Jandy straight line one that will be a few inches lower in the system. (all of this is below the current hot tub water line by at least two feet)
- Insert isolation valves on both supply lines to the pool and hot tub to help compensate for my weaker pump. I assume I need these to adjust the waterfall flow - when I move to a control system the current solution of a jandy valve turned part way wont be possible.
Questions about my plan:
- I assume moving to a straight check valve and removing the old 90 degree one is ok, correct?
- Is there a better way to plumb the 1 inch pvc that keeps some water always running to the hot tub?
- I cant figure out how to cut after the inline chlorinator - I have to cut above it in the line. I can either replace it with a new one or should I consider inserting a salt system at this point?
- Any issues with my idea to insert isolation valves?
Thanks everyone. Looking forward to good discussion on this.