Owner Builder Pools / Pools By Owner

DFWguy

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2015
keller
Any experience with these type of "consultants"? I like the concept. I work a very flexible schedule and being a control freak the idea of a bit more control sounds intriguing to me. From what I understand - you pay a consultant fee around 4K and they work with you every step of the way to completion. The folks in my area that own this company also own a pool plastering company that has been in business for over 30 years and has great reviews - so to a degree that adds a bit of comfort. Please chime in if you have any knowledge or experience with this type of pool construction.

Never heard of it, but it could very useful if you get 4K worth of advice and code knowledge plus discounts. AND you have the time required to get it right. DO they pay for any mistakes????

Remember - make a want list(money no object) then prioritize what you really must have. Check out the slideshow of other members pools and your pool will be stunning.

My build took longer than expected because I was more out of shape than expected. :)

I researched pools contractors, construction in my area for about 18 months. Some of the bids were down right ridiculous!
I got lucky with a distributor who was more than willing to listen to my questions and provide feedback( on his schedule but still he replied) it came to a point with encouragement that I just did it myself. I found a great deal on all of my equipment and cover from Josh at Magnolia Pools (online seller with multiple follow up phone calls). I went fiberglass due to clay soil conditions here and major swings in amounts of ground water.

Post pictures and keep us informed of your progress.

Personally, I just finished my first OB, and I really can't imagine what they would do that could justify 4k, but depends on your schedule really.

The permit process is a piece of cake, but if you have strict work obligations that could be something that could justify hiring them.

Here's how I got started:

I sent my crude drawing to pooleng.com and for 150.00 they cover the engineering. Once I got that, I had to contact my HOA and then went to city hall for the permit. I was there for about an hour, spoke to the head inspector(who was really helpful), and paid 800 for my permit. Are the permit fees included in his price?

From there it's pretty easy. You have pre-gunite, pre-deck, pre-plaster, and then final inspection. I'd send an email the day before and then my inspector would show up at around 11am.

Is this company going to be accepting and presenting bids or is that up to you? If they're doing that, then I could see a lot of value in their service as the bid process is time consuming.

As far as being there to supervise the subs, you'll find that most of these guys who only deal with pools are pretty good and if there's an issue, it'll be them you deal with, not your adviser.

I'd say, if you have the time, just save the money for an upgraded pebble finish. If you're really busy, then it could be an asset to have a helper.

Good luck!

Personally, I just finished my first OB, and I really can't imagine what they would do that could justify 4k, but depends on your schedule really.

The permit process is a piece of cake, but if you have strict work obligations that could be something that could justify hiring them.

Here's how I got started:

I sent my crude drawing to pooleng.com and for 150.00 they cover the engineering. Once I got that, I had to contact my HOA and then went to city hall for the permit. I was there for about an hour, spoke to the head inspector(who was really helpful), and paid 800 for my permit. Are the permit fees included in his price?

From there it's pretty easy. You have pre-gunite, pre-deck, pre-plaster, and then final inspection. I'd send an email the day before and then my inspector would show up at around 11am.

Is this company going to be accepting and presenting bids or is that up to you? If they're doing that, then I could see a lot of value in their service as the bid process is time consuming.

As far as being there to supervise the subs, you'll find that most of these guys who only deal with pools are pretty good and if there's an issue, it'll be them you deal with, not your adviser.

I'd say, if you have the time, just save the money for an upgraded pebble finish. If you're really busy, then it could be an asset to have a helper.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I feel I do have the time. my office is 10 minutes from home and I have much flexibility. The more I read Posts like your and some of these other DIY builds - I feel you are 100% correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Never heard of it, but it could very useful if you get 4K worth of advice and code knowledge plus discounts. AND you have the time required to get it right. DO they pay for any mistakes????

Remember - make a want list(money no object) then prioritize what you really must have. Check out the slideshow of other members pools and your pool will be stunning.

My build took longer than expected because I was more out of shape than expected. :)

I researched pools contractors, construction in my area for about 18 months. Some of the bids were down right ridiculous!
I got lucky with a distributor who was more than willing to listen to my questions and provide feedback( on his schedule but still he replied) it came to a point with encouragement that I just did it myself. I found a great deal on all of my equipment and cover from Josh at Magnolia Pools (online seller with multiple follow up phone calls). I went fiberglass due to clay soil conditions here and major swings in amounts of ground water.

Post pictures and keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks for your insight! Very helpful

In in the middle of my own owner builder pool and if you have a flexible schedule can't imagine paying $4,000 to a consultant. I paid $850 for my plans and the woman who did them has been very helpful with any questions I've had along the way, recommended equipment and explained much of the building process. The permitting packet she delivered had everything I needed for my permit, I was in and out in 20 minutes.

She had a subs list but I was also able to connect with other owner builders in my City on City Data and they shared their subs with me, in-fact, I'm using more subs that are not on my designers list than those that are. Also, I've found subs through other subs, they're all networked pretty well.

I'd say tackle it your self and put the $4,000 back into your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any experience with these type of "consultants"? I like the concept. I work a very flexible schedule and being a control freak the idea of a bit more control sounds intriguing to me. From what I understand - you pay a consultant fee around 4K and they work with you every step of the way to completion.

Seems pretty insane to me. For half of that you can use BYOP.net which is in your area. Heck,$2000 was too much for me, so I wen the OB route.

In in the middle of my own owner builder pool and if you have a flexible schedule can't imagine paying $4,000 to a consultant. I paid $850 for my plans and the woman who did them has been very helpful with any questions I've had along the way, recommended equipment and explained much of the building process. The permitting packet she delivered had everything I needed for my permit, I was in and out in 20 minutes.

She had a subs list but I was also able to connect with other owner builders in my City on City Data and they shared their subs with me, in-fact, I'm using more subs that are not on my designers list than those that are. Also, I've found subs through other subs, they're all networked pretty well.

I'd say tackle it your self and put the $4,000 back into your pool.

Who is doing your plans?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.