Super Concentrated Clarifier

Toomchfun

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2012
Dallas, Texas
My parents gave me a bottle of hth super concentrated clarifier; active ingredient: cationic polymer. My water is a little cloudy. What does this stuff do, and is it ok to use. The bottle advertises improved filter efficiency and crystal clear water.

Current levels:
FC 9
pH 7.2
TA 100
CYA 20

It makes particles attract to each other, stick together, and fall to the bottom. If...you dose it precisely, have the correct type of particles, and all other conditions are perfect for its use. If you don't know the answer to all those questions, I'd suggest not using it. It could make things worse.

Why do you think your water is cloudy, and why is your FC so high right now? It's over rage for your Cya by a good deal.

4 weeks ago I started adding chlorine because it was green with leaves on the bottom and had mosquito larvae in it. I started SLAM 2 weeks ago because the water was still murky. I have kept the FC up since then. It is much better now, I can see the bottom well but it is still not crystal clear.

Current CH is 100.
Chlorinating with bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Current Levels 10:00pm

FC 5
CC less than 0.5
pH 7.6
TC 100
CYA 40
CH 100

The water is quite a bit better. Clear but not crystal clear. Now that I can see the bottom better, I am noticing that there is something that resembles filter sand gathering in the bottom of the pool a within few hours after vacuuming. It is a gray color sand or sediment. The filter sand has not been changed since install.

Ok, I'm not sure how you are in your other aspects, like the OCLT in SLAM, but your FC is too low for a SLAM value based on your Cya. It doesn't sound like you passed the SLAM. If it's been low like this before you finished, you still need more SLAM and filter time. Sand very, very rarely needs changing. At most your filter may need a deep cleaning, but post back about where your SLAM has been in the last week or so.

SLAM was in progress until 5-13-15. Then the water was clear, OCLT resulted in FC loss of less than 0.5 and CC was at or less than 0.5
The results were the same on 5-16-15.
I added chlorine today to bring the FC level up to 16ppm and will re-test tonight and in the morning for OCLT. I will post results and pic of water tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

P.S. I have pics through out the process of cleaning if needed.

My results from last nights test seem to be tainted. At 9:30 pm I added chlorine to bring the FC level up to 16ppm. I tested at 10:30 pm and the result was 15.5 ppm FC. This morning at 6:15 am FC was at 16.5 and CC was at or less than 0.5.
I will conduct another OCLT tonight, meanwhile I will keep the FC at shock level, testing and adding more on my lunch break and thru the evening.
Attached are pics of the water from yesterday after vacuuming.

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.