Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calculating Volume in a customr shaped pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Calculating Volume in a customr shaped pool

I am in need of help calculating the volume in our custom shaped pool here at the hotel I work for. I've calculated it myself but it was a real pain to do so and I am not supremely confident in my math. The pool & hotel are going on 25 years old and past stated volumes I've found in the records seem suspect and there are several different #s so the only way to know for sure is to recalculate it. I've attached a drawing I did showing the shape and measurements I made myself. Can anyone calculate it and tell me what you get so I can compare it to what I got?

I appreciate any help you can provide!

Mark

Pool Measurements Pic.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calculating Volume in a customr shaped pool

The easiest way to calculate is by using a fas-dpd test. Using a 25ml sample you can test to within .2 ppm. Make a chlorine addition using pool math here, estimating your gallons, from what you got to a target number.............retest...........and see if it is high or low. You can get within 500-1000 gallons or so which is close enough.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    The easiest way to calculate is by using a fas-dpd test. Using a 25ml sample you can test to within .2 ppm. Make a chlorine addition using pool math here, estimating your gallons, from what you got to a target number.............retest...........and see if it is high or low. You can get within 500-1000 gallons or so which is close enough.
    You can calculate pool volume(total gallons) with a DPD test? I've never heard about that. Are we talking about the same thing or is it possible you misunderstood my question?

4. Back To Top    #4

I see about 68000 gallons breaking it up into circles and rectangles and half-circles. You did an excellent job with the scale. I used paintshop to draw the circles and the relative dimensions were darn close!

What Woody is talking about is using poolmath. If you plug in 68000 and go about treating the chemistry that way, it shouldn't take long to see if you're overshooting or undershooting consistently. That applies to everything. Not just chlorine, but also TA & pH. Between the calculator and Effects of Adding Chemicals down at the bottom, within a few additions you should know roughly how much you're over or underdosing. So you adjust the volume at the top of poolmath up or down. Just keep raising or lowering the volume until you get it bracketed and then narrow the gap. It will take a while, but the point comes when you hit your target every single time you add something. That's when you know the volume.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

What ^^^^Richard^^^^ said.

FAS-dpd test. Drop based.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Or you can calculate the volume by using the TA or Muriatic Acid method.
    Have fun with this one!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ng-Pool-Volume
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow Zep! That is a LOT of pool.

Welcome to the forum...we really want to see this one for sure.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Better not let Jerry Brown see that thing. He might try to use it for as a new found water source.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit