Skimmer line replacement project

Jun 14, 2009
Hello all,

So I had this topic posted before but I guess it was deleted. I started this project last Saturday but was pulled away, today I was able to make some progress. It seems like I am only able to work on this project on Saturdays, which is making me consider getting the professionals to finish it just so it is done in a timely manner.

OK so I was able to finish cutting the concrete, removing and digging down to the bottom of the 1st skimmer

fe4c9c15842617216b144f29c0e3b39a.jpg
2285f05acdf28d5688247b512710b433.jpg
[/IMG]

So as you can see it is a tight fit, and it is flex pipe all the way to just before the pump were it is hard PVC.

Funny how you think things are and how they actually are, I was hoping that both skimmer flex pipes met hard PVC running back away from the skimmer making kind of an "F" going towards the back but it was not so.

Turns out the flex pipe actually goes towards the pool side and it looks like it than turns right towards the other skimmer. Go figure 

Anyway my question is (LOL, sorry for the long winded intro):

Can I I just cutaway the flex pipe were it meets the skimmer put an elbow and run PVC away from the skimmer, doing the same to the other skimmer making a "F" back towards the pump. Just trenching a new line ?

The two skimmers are probably plumbed together with a T leading to the pump. At some point you will need a connection so they both feed the pump. You may want that connection above ground so you can add a 3 way valve to control the flow between the skimmers.

Thanks zea3...

Since I'm planning on going all hard PVC. .. would this work ?

1st skimmer back to elbow ....PVC from elbow to a T connecting .... bring 2nd skimmer to T connection. .. run PVC from T to current PVC ... splice new PVC into current setup in front of pump ...

I'm just worried about the connection between skimmer and current flex pipe, how to disconnect and get the hard PVC in it's place

You will probably need to leave a stub of flex you can glue on a coupling for the hard pvc.

The flex pipe looks very damaged going into the skimmer, I would love to remove it completely but the question is how ?

So my ideal scenario would be,

1. cut flex pipe right were it meets the bottom of the skimmer
  2. Remove the remaining flex pipe from the inside of skimmer
  3. Insert a 1-1/2 to 1-1/2 90 degree elbow into the skimmer
  4. Repeat for the other skimmer
  5. Run my PVC away from skimmer doing the "F" pattern I mentioned before.

For item #2, could I just try to pry it off with a screw driver from inside the skimmer ?

Once it is off I could glue and prime the elbow in place.

Thanks for any insight, this is my 1st endeavor into pool repair and have a lot ? marks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.