Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Combined Chlorine question

1. Back To Top    #1

Combined Chlorine question

So I've read so many posts already about this problem but still not entirely clear on it. I'm using a Taylor test kit from Leslie's and the DPD reagent tests showed significant CC so I shocked using potassium peroxymonosulfate and ran with cover off during a sunny day. FC DROPPED FROM 3-6 to 0.5, but the CC test was still at about 10 PPM. I read in one post that my use of non chlorine shock might "register" as CC in the testing, so if that's all that's happening I'm fine with it.

My first attempt a few months ago at "super chlorination" was an abject disaster that led me to drain the 450 gallon spa and start over, but I am really interested in learning how to make this spa set properly using 7.86 bleach I also had to put in 1/4 cup muriatic acid to get the Ph down to 7.5 in this process (down from 8.2+) and I keep struggling with rising Ph numbers pretty much each day.

At present my FC is at 1-2, but my CC is testing at brighter than my 5-10 scale shows on the kit, so something is going on. Ph is climbing back toward 7.8 as well, so any suggestions would be appreciated. My test kit doesn't allow for testing CYA but a "test strip" showed values of below 40 CYA. NOt sure that's reliable since it also showed low Ph and 0.5 FC, though.

TL DR: can't tell if my very high CC reading in spa is just potassium peroxymonosulfate or if not how to solve my CC PROBLEM

If my signature isn't below I still have to figure out that also but it's my first post
    20,000 gal 40 x 14 oval gunite pool with UG piping, Hayward Crystal Clear II D.E. Filter (flow rate 96 GPM / Max 50 PSI); Hayward sel priming Super II with 1 hp. Inground Gunite/tile spa (~450 gallon) with Raypak (Rheem) gas-fired Pool & Spa heater model 406A w/ 399K BTU. Spa pump 3/4 hp Sta-Rite Dura-Glas P2R5D w/ Jet 2 hp Franklin Electric 1081.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Re: Combined Chlorine question

Welcome. Someone should be along shortly to answer your question.
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Combined Chlorine question

MPS reads falsely as CC. Taylor sells a special reagent for it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!