Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: opening pool for first time...skimmer plug / booster pump ?s, pics

1. Back To Top    #1

opening pool for first time...skimmer plug / booster pump ?s, pics

Cover is off, pool plugs are out, turned pump on....

water is coming out of a hole on the booster pump.

There doesn't seem to be any suction in the skimmer. There are two holes in the skimmer. Out of one of them, I took the regular plug.

In the other hole, there is a circular plug with an inverted female square. Is this supposed to come out?

Picture below.
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: opening pool for first time...skimmer plug / booster pump ?s, pics

That is only open if your skimmer was originally plumbed into your main drain or an equalizer pipe to the pool wall. There should be a little wing plug to screw into the booster pump. Is there a valve to switch water flow from main drain to skimmer?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

So, the booster pump drain plug was missing, which is why I was getting no suction from the skimmer. Apparently, when the pool service closed the pool, the booster pump drain plug broke, and they just threw the broken drain plug by the filter, which is where I found it.

So now, I need to get that piece, pentair LA385...

is this something Leslie's would carry, or do I have to order this online and wait?

I've got the pool cover off, and the last thing I want to do is have to wait a week for this part!

ARGH!

4. Back To Top    #4

What a pain! If they had told you then you had all winter to get another one. Idjits. I would think Leslies would carry that, seems like a part that might need to be replaced occasionally. It seems like there shouldn't be too many different sizes of drain plugs. Lowes might even something that fits.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with Pooldv :"idjits". There is no excuse for not notifying you of this broken part when it happened. They probably figured that the part would magically repair itself over the winter. Pooldv, I'm going to add...... "morons" to your list.....
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

6. Back To Top    #6

Or as the kids would say, beanbags.
    TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, I'm definitely not happy with the situation...

however, this pool service has been opening and closing the pool since it was put in by the previous owner 10 years ago, so I'm guessing they just figured they'd replace the drain plug when they opened the pool this year.

Only, I decided to give opening the pool a try this year instead.

I called them and they said they're going to drop it off to me sometime today. Not soon enough.

8. Back To Top    #8

Pool service came by and gave me the piece for free....

pool is clearing up nicely, already gone through seven 64 oz bottles of 8.25%.

Will TA read high with FC at shock level?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessPhish View Post
    Pool service came by and gave me the piece for free....

pool is clearing up nicely, already gone through seven 64 oz bottles of 8.25%.

Will TA read high with FC at shock level?
    No. But the colors may go blue to yellow instead of green to pink.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

TA is 80

CYA 40

FC just read at 19

pool is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

So regarding the drain plugs on the main water pump, as well as the two plugs in my heater....

I noticed one or two of them have a blue sealant around them, from previous years. Do I need to use this sealant? What is this stuff?

Another question....

my in line chlorinator has a hairline crack in it, underneath. I think this happened a couple of years ago when I tightened the lid. I've tried sealing it with magic lube, but it doesn't seem to hold. I'm going to have to replace the whole piece, arent I?

ugh