Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 Results

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 Results

Just received my new TF-100 Test kit. Have been introduced to cyanuric acid for the first time, I have a 30' round, 23800 gal. I have had the pool since 2008 and have always had crystal clear water, only to find out that the 3" tabs were doing their thing. after finding out my CYA was over 300, I have drained over half the pool and refilled. I am about 90 CYA right now. I did a few tests, my total Chlorine test did not match any colors, it was orange. The ph test was 7.8. The chlorine drop test: FC=20.5, but my water did not turn back to pink, so I have no Combined Chloramines. What does that mean? My water is cloudy, and I still have some vacuuming to do. Can you help me get on the right track, I have not put anything in my pool for a week, prior to that I used lots of zapit
    30 Ft Round Above Ground, Approximately 23,500 Gallons. Sand Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100 Results

Welcome to the forum.. You don't WANT any CC...(combined chloramines). Ph should be 7.4 to 7.6 unless you are letting it drift up to lower your TA wih muriatic acid. You don't tell us what your TA is. 90 cya is on the edge of manageable unless you get an algae outbreak.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to,TFP!

Zap It is CalHypo, did you do a CH test?

I would still recommend a 33% water exchange to get that CYA down to at least 60.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

My TA is 110.

5. Back To Top    #5

Lowering TA is a PROCESS of aerating your water------allowing PH to rise.......... then dropping it down with MA which in turn lowers your TA. Takes time. You end up with a more stable PH at a lower TA of 60-80.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is a pool school article about it. Lowering Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

My CH is 425