Mar 31, 2013
TN
PH-7.2
FC-4
CC-0
TA-60
CH-175
CYA-55-60
Salt-3400 as per test set and 2450 on easytouch controller (that's a whole other thread)

Pool store says I need to:

Add 18lbs of TA increaser
Wait 6 hrs
Add 18lbs of TA increaser
Wait 6 hrs
Add 9 lbs of TA increaser
Wait 6 hrs
Add 5 lbs of clean shock brush pool after adding
Wait 24 hrs
Add 16 lbs of calcium hardness increaser
Wait 6 hours
Wait 6 hours
Wait 6 hours

If I understand correctly from this site my numbers are in line other than pH which I want at 7.5. Being a vinyl lined pool I thought I read where calcium hardness is not a big deal.

Please shed some light on this for me. I have used these same numbers for the last two years and everything seemed to work fine. I just don't want to damage liner or equipment meant by not doing something.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 83
That is what I've done since the pool has been in. I have never shocked my pool either. Should I shock it every so often or not. A friend of mine shocks theirs once a month on pool store advice. I don't see the need. But then again I'm not a pool pro either.

No No No! Don't do it!

your test results looks just fine! Since you have a vinyl pool like me, even your Ph is ok at 7.2, but you can raise it if you want to, it wont hurt anything.

If you keep your FC within the recommended levels, then you will be just fine.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

Your TA at 60 buffers your Ph and it wont rise as fast. 60 is great if you have a SWG! The pool store having you add all that TA increase will just put you in Ph Misery. Trust me on that!

Its true that CH is not applicable to a vinyl pool. There is no chemistry reaction between vinyl and calcium what-so-ever.
You just dont want the CH exhorbitantly high(+500), because then, even with vinyl, you can get calcium scaling.

they obviously do NOT understand pool chemistry at all!

Trust your own test results and trust Pool Math, and trust the recommended levels to keep your pool Trouble Free! It works as you have already experienced! And if it works, dont fix it!
:)

Thanks for the answers. Just confirms what I thought about the CH and shocking. Why shock if you have no problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny to me that the pool store prolly takes care of several hundred if not a thousand pools from 6 stores and they can't even get a test right. Geez, if I can do it with a simple test kit they should be able to also.

Thanks for the answers. Just confirms what I thought about the CH and shocking. Why shock if you have no problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny to me that the pool store prolly takes care of several hundred if not a thousand pools from 6 stores and they can't even get a test right. Geez, if I can do it with a simple test kit they should be able to also.
as to the shocking part, they make money selling shock. It is unfortunate that a lot of people who own pools ignore them during the week and then on the weekend want to use them - thus the shock.

As to the pool,store,testing, some actually do it right, but not many. Due to a combination of poor "on the job" training, lack of understanding as to what each test is really telling them, and many times just a poor attitude leads to poor results. You care about your pool and doing the test correctly. They just want to get through a line of customers and make sales recommendations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.