problems with Hayward filter

May 2, 2015
youngsville
I'm new to the pool world. The pool has been a swamp for 2-3 years. On April 23 I dropped 12 Lbs. of dichlor in the pool. Then noticed my polaris picking up sand so I changed the sand and a busted lateral(sand from home depot). I'm thinking this sand was a mistake as it is not removing anything from the pool running 24/7. Days go by with no PSI change. I have tried adding DE and I get a rise from the DE but nothing after that. Earlier today I vacuumed the floor blind and the pressure got up to 30 by the time I finished. I figured I would let it run like that for a little bit to try the dirty filter cleans more idea and when I went back to check it out about 20 minutes later the PSI had dropped to 24. All I can assume is that the dirt/Dead algae is passing through the sand and back into the pool. I know I'm probably forgetting stuff.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading about putting pea gravel in the bottom of the filter and also debating on changing to a different sand. Any insight on these would be great also.

Ch 100
tc 3
fc 3
ph 7.5
ta 90
cya 50

1st picture is after 12 Lbs of dichlor
2nd picture is current

102.jpg149.jpg
Thanks Ben

Welcome to TFP!

If you are sure things are still getting through the SF, you still have a problem with a lateral or similar as before. Are you sure you replaced with the correct type and amount of sand?

Where are those test results from? If from your own kit, can you tell us what type of kit you have please?

Welcome to TFP!
Here is a post with nice details on sand filters that should help. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

As for your green pool, SLAMing Your Pool is what you need to fix that.

Read this Test Kit Comparison and get one. I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

After you SLAM your pool and fix your filter here is more info from Pool School about managing your water
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool.
And use PoolMath to determine what to add.

I forgot to mention that I did slam the pool between these pictures for 8 days with 20+ppm FC, the only reason I let the chlorine come down was to check the PH. After a little looking around I found that the quikrete pool sand from home depot is 20-40 (.425mm - .85mm). So I did another sand change, this time to hth brand #20 silica sand. I checked over the laterals again and they are fine. I'm using the aquacheck 7 way or the HTH 6 way test strips because its all that I currently have.

I'm using the aquacheck 7 way or the HTH 6 way test strips because its all that I currently have.
Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

You really need one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Strips just do not provide the accuracy you need for a SLAM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.