Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: problems with Hayward filter

1. Back To Top    #1

problems with Hayward filter

I'm new to the pool world. The pool has been a swamp for 2-3 years. On April 23 I dropped 12 Lbs. of dichlor in the pool. Then noticed my polaris picking up sand so I changed the sand and a busted lateral(sand from home depot). I'm thinking this sand was a mistake as it is not removing anything from the pool running 24/7. Days go by with no PSI change. I have tried adding DE and I get a rise from the DE but nothing after that. Earlier today I vacuumed the floor blind and the pressure got up to 30 by the time I finished. I figured I would let it run like that for a little bit to try the dirty filter cleans more idea and when I went back to check it out about 20 minutes later the PSI had dropped to 24. All I can assume is that the dirt/Dead algae is passing through the sand and back into the pool. I know I'm probably forgetting stuff.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading about putting pea gravel in the bottom of the filter and also debating on changing to a different sand. Any insight on these would be great also.

Ch 100
    tc 3
    fc 3
    ph 7.5
    ta 90
    cya 50

1st picture is after 12 Lbs of dichlor
    2nd picture is current

102.jpg149.jpg
    Thanks Ben
    20 x 40 IG vinyl 30k gallon
    Hayward S244T300Lb sand filter, 1.5hp Super Pump, polaris booster for 280
    Aquarite SWG
    T-100 test kit W/ Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: problems with Hayward filter

Welcome to TFP!

If you are sure things are still getting through the SF, you still have a problem with a lateral or similar as before. Are you sure you replaced with the correct type and amount of sand?

Where are those test results from? If from your own kit, can you tell us what type of kit you have please?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    Here is a post with nice details on sand filters that should help. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-a-Sand-Filter

As for your green pool, SLAMing Your Pool is what you need to fix that.

Read this Test Kit Comparison and get one. I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

After you SLAM your pool and fix your filter here is more info from Pool School about managing your water
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool.
    And use PoolMath to determine what to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I do not see your filter as a problem. Your pics are indicative of a typical algae laden pool that needs to be SLAMmed and it will clear up
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I forgot to mention that I did slam the pool between these pictures for 8 days with 20+ppm FC, the only reason I let the chlorine come down was to check the PH. After a little looking around I found that the quikrete pool sand from home depot is 20-40 (.425mm - .85mm). So I did another sand change, this time to hth brand #20 silica sand. I checked over the laterals again and they are fine. I'm using the aquacheck 7 way or the HTH 6 way test strips because its all that I currently have.
    Aquarite SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Glad you changed out the sand for #20 silica. Pools like this take a while to clean up.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by lillbro11 View Post
    I'm using the aquacheck 7 way or the HTH 6 way test strips because its all that I currently have.
    Welcome to TFP!!

You really need one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Strips just do not provide the accuracy you need for a SLAM
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the FC at 20 again. TF-100 comes in tomorrow.
    Aquarite SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by lillbro11 View Post
    I have the FC at 20 again. TF-100 comes in tomorrow.
    great, I think that will help you clear it up. With strips you really don't know if it's 20 or not.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

5:00 pm yesterday
    FC 12

8:00 this morning
    FC 28
    I poured a little extra bleach last night when it started to rain.
    Aquarite SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

7:30 pm
    FC 29

I removed my light from the niche and cleaned it the best that I could. Should I leave the light out or replace it into the niche?
    Aquarite SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

If there is still algae in there then keep scrubbing every day until it is gone.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach