Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water is not clear

1. Back To Top    #1

Water is not clear

Hi,

I opened up my pool two weeks ago and I'm struggling to get my pool crystal clear.
    I can see the bottom on the shallow end (3 ft) and even the middle section, but I can't see the bottom of the deep end(9 ft).
    Here are my readings from my T100 test kit.

FC - 3.5
    CC - 0.5
    TC - 4
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 90
    CH = 100
    CYA = 30

These numbers look good based on the reference charts. You guys have any suggestions for me?
    Thanks.
    23,000 gallon in ground vinyl chlorine pool
    hayward pump and sand filter with polaris booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Water is not clear

Are you running the filter 24/7? If not I would try that and if you don't see a difference then I would go ahead and SLAM to get the water crystal clear.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Are these your readings directly after opening the pool, or have you adjusted them at all?

I bet is that FC was low when you opened it and the sunlight caused the algae to grow. If its already growing enough to have cloudy water, then maintaining a recommended FC level is not going to stop it.

If you cant see the bottom of the pool, then clearly either something (algae) is growing in the water, or calcium has precipitated, which is pretty much an impossibility with CH of 100.

I recommend you SLAM the pool until its crystal clear, and after that, maintain the recommended levels.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is your filter running at the correct psi? I assume you have backwashed, right?

AZgirl and Divin'Dave have it covered, I think. If you are sure you are filtering and vacuuming and brushing properly, then SlAMming your pool will likely result in a very quick completion to crystal clear. Make sure you follow the SLAM right on through to the OCLT. Post back if you need assistance.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

A quick SLAM seems to be the answer.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

That's Shock Level And Maintain. The M is the key. Click the image for the How-to.

A couple megadoses of bleach spaced a few days apart isn't going to fix things. It would be like getting a prescription for antibiotics and gulping the whole bottle at once, rather than taking a pill every four hours until they're gone. And like antibiotics, you have to keep it up even after the worst symptoms have disappeared.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

That's Shock Level And Maintain. The M is the key. Click the image for the How-to.

A couple megadoses of bleach spaced a few days apart isn't going to fix things. It would be like getting a prescription for antibiotics and gulping the whole bottle at once, rather than taking a pill every four hours until they're gone. And like antibiotics, you have to keep it up even after the worst symptoms have disappeared.
    Ok I'll try to maintain it because when they first opened the pool then threw in 8 gallons. I waited a couple days then threw in another 8 gallons.
    Then two more days and I threw in 12 gallons. Then realized my FC was up to 22, so left it alone for 3-4 days.
    Now that I have my kit I'll keep it at the SLAM level.

Thanks for the help.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have one more question for my knowledge on maintaining pools.
    After I tested that my FC was 22, I let the sun take its course to lower the FC a bit.
    One of those nights I decided to do a over night FC test. I tested after sun down my FC
    and then tested again first thing in the morning and the Difference in FC was 1.0.
    So I thought my pool was free of anything that can be eating up my FC.
    But clearly these something in my pool to keep me from seeing the bottom of the deep end.?????

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Until your pool is crystal clear you need to keep FC up at SLAM levels.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

You did not pass the OCLT which is losing .5ppm of FC or less. You failed it when you lost 1ppm FC.

Overnight FC Loss Test
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

The requirements for a completed SLAM are:

CC < .5ppm
    Losing 1ppm or less of FC overnight
    Crystal clear water

You've got the first two requirements, you just need to get the water clear. Keep SLAMMING
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

12. Back To Top    #12

Hello, is this pool new to you? I am local too in the chicago area. For whatever reason, this was a "dirty" winter. My pool was hazy/cloudy on opending. It tool about 48 hours of continuous filtering with DE added and multiple backwashed to get whatever it was out. First half day I was backwashing every 2-3 hours. I did not neet to SLAM this spring, but I also opend 2nd week of April when the water was too cold to support life.
    There is a pool school article on adding DE - it might help you assuming that you pass the tests. If you are loosing Chlorine overnight you have issues other than just finely suspended junk in the pool.
    16 X 32 wooden frame with aluminum braces in ground pool. 3.6ft shallow end, 8.5ft deep end. 22,000 gallons. Pool constructed in 1976 in Chicago area. Mechanics: 1HP hayward super pump, Jaccuzi sand filter, Hayward SWG, and Raypak 2100 heater. No main drain (capped years ago) 3 jets, 1 skimmer. Liner replaced May 2013.

13. Back To Top    #13

ok, came back home with 15 gallons of bleach, lets see if I can do this right this time.
    My CYA is 30.

12:30pm
    FC - 0.5
    CC - 0.5

added 3.3 gallons of 8.5% bleach.

3pm
    FC - 14.0 This should be in SLAM levels
    CC - 0.5

Will check again at 5pm.

14. Back To Top    #14

4:30pm
    FC - 12.0
    CC - 1.0

will add another 69 oz to raise FC to 14 just to be sure.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Keep at it. You are doing great!
    Lisa

16. Back To Top    #16

5:30pm
    FC - 14.0
    CC - 0.5

8:30 pm
    FC - 12.0
    CC - 0

added some more bleach for the evening
    9:30
    FC - 16.0
    CC - 0

Let's hope it's clear tomorrow morning.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Hoping when you get up with the sun that your FC is 16.
    Lisa

18. Back To Top    #18

6:30am

FC - 15.0
    CC - 0.5

I'm guessing I should keep SLAMing?

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by rocbuddah7 View Post
    6:30am

FC - 15.0
    CC - 0.5

I'm guessing I should keep SLAMing?
    You only lost 1ppm
    So technically you pass since the water is also crystal clear.
    However, that being said I would go another day of SLAMing and see if you can get 0 ppm loss tonight.
    Lisa

20. Back To Top    #20

9:00 am

FC - 13.0
    CC - 0.5

adding some more bleach, I can see my polaris on the bottom of the deep end now. So I think it's getting there. still not crystal clear, but much better than before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast