Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Tricolor to Raise CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Tricolor to Raise CYA?

Hello all!
    This is the first question the search bar has failed me on, so here it goes:
    If my CYA is low, and I am using Trichlor to raise both FC and CYA, does the CYA reading happen quickly, or is it the same week long wait as if I had hung the stabilizer in the return with the sock method?
    PH 7.7
    FC 1 (oops) CC .5
    TA 90
    CH 160
    CYA 20
    Borate 30?
    salt 780

Added 14oz of Trichlor after this reading. Pool math says that should raise the CYA by 3.1

So I am guessing by adding another 28oz of Tricolor, as the FC needs to be raised, I will then be at a CYA of 30.

I ask, because I have added Tricolor a couple of times, and I don't see the CYA increase PoolMath says I should see. My notes say I added 40oz of Tricolor on 4/18 when I had a cya of 25.
    19K gal, IG, 16x32 vinyl, sand filter and 1HP pump look like Hayward models, on an Intermatic timer.
    Testing with K-2006, LaMotte Borate strips, Aqua Check salt strips to fill in all the spaces in Pool Math!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using Tricolor to Raise CYA?

It can take some type, Chemgeek has posted the chemcial process before and it does involve multiple steps, but I have not seen a timeline on how this compares to dry CYA. Are you sure you don't have a water leak which may be lowering your CYA through dilution from fill water?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

First, I will say that pucks are generally not the best way to raise CYA. It is most always more precise to add the CYA seperately in a measured dose.

That said, the CYA will register on your tests once the pucks are dissolved.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd go with pure cya granules from Wally World. Save the pucks for vacation and times away.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Trichlor will also lower your PH, so it's marginal already, now you have 2 issues to deal with.
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

You can use Pool Math to determine just what each puck would do to your water balance. I sometimes use them so I have written on the top of the container just what each puck will do in my volume of water.

In my case:
    Trichlor
    1 puck = 7.2 oz.
    FC +2.5
    CYA +1.5
    pH -.14
    salt +2.1
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Good idea. I do have a few dichlors for quick emergency uses. Only time i used them was last year for initial start up
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

8. Back To Top    #8

That is a good thought, but I do not believe I have a leak as I have not had to add water yet.
    19K gal, IG, 16x32 vinyl, sand filter and 1HP pump look like Hayward models, on an Intermatic timer.
    Testing with K-2006, LaMotte Borate strips, Aqua Check salt strips to fill in all the spaces in Pool Math!

9. Back To Top    #9

I think I am messing up the respond thing, sorry guys.
    I do have some pucks that I have slated to keep snakes out of my wood pile.
    The Triclor is from a purchase I made before I found TFP.
    My PH is trying to creep up due to being covered I think. Either way, the change in PH from the Trichlor is ok in this case.
    I have some of the CYA Granules, I put in a bottle and a half last year because I did not realize how long it would take to dissolve. Also before I found TFP.
    Did i mention I love TFP?
    It is great to know if I find something mundane, or truly weird someone else has seen it or heard of it, and i can avoid it.
    Thanks everyone!