Help needed with Auto-fill, overflow drain or a leak ?

HouTX

Apr 13, 2015
Houston, TX
Long story but I was trying to figure out a drop in CYA (posted on another thread) and my research led me to articles about Auto-fills, Leaks etc. Making a long story short, here are the key points which may or may not be the issue:

1. Upon moving into this home I noticed staining on the curb about 3’ wide, and have periodically observed water draining over it (no rain). Initially attributed it to the elevation since the backyard is about 3’ higher than street level and it gradually sloped down toward the front of the house. Some neighbors have similar staining. I read now that a lot of pool overflows drain this way (?)
2. About 2 months ago noticed the Auto-fill bucket had water around it and I could hear the fill-valve shooting our water every 5 seconds for about 3 seconds at a time. Replaced it with an identical Fluidmaster Fill Valve. Could no longer hear the water.
3. Yesterday noticed water overflowing around Fill Valve cover again. Fill Valve started going every 5 seconds just like before as soon as I opened the cover.
4. When I close the cover it appears to stop, but it is obviously coming on at longer intervals because the water oozing out must come from the valve shooting water on the side of the enclosure and splashing up. To clarify, installed Fluidmaster valve on old stem and the spout is at an angle and splashes water when it comes on which should be the cause I see water puddle around the fill cover.
5. My pool water level is about 1.5”-2” into skimmer and the same amount under pool overflow drain.

Please see attached pictures of items in question. I have no idea where to start trouble-shooting. I am trying to figure out if there is a leak, a faulty Auto Fill valve, while at the same time trying to battle rising pH and CYA that went from 70 to 55 in a few weeks. Any help is appreciated.
View attachment 36208View attachment 36209

I did a bucket test and there are no leaks. I figured out that the water around the Auto fill canister is due to the water spout (Fluidmaster Toilet Valve) being angled against the side, so when it comes on the water splashes up and against the lid. I attached a rubber tube to the spout and angled it downward. Should work hopefully. Haven't solved the missing CYA issue, out of reagent already so new bottle on the way. Will retest....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.