I hate going to the pool store

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I had to get some HCL this morning and Lowes and Home Depot no longer carry it so had to go to the pool store. While I was waiting to check one of the nice young clerks was helping a woman with "stuff" to raise the alkalinity in her pool. I could over hear her say she had read that sodium bicarbonate was used. The clerk said that was true, but "Alkalinity Up" was a better choice because it was sodium hydrogen carbonate which was more effective than sodium bicarbonate and you didn't have to use as much. He said the "Alkalinity up" was more expensive because it was more effective. The sodium bicarbonate was $22 for a 50 lb bag and the "Alkalinity Up" was $14.95 for a 10 lb bucket. Then he went on to say if the sodium bicarbonate was as good as the "Alkalinity Up" it would cost the same.

It's never a good idea to interfere in another mans business so I Kept my mouth shut even though I was biting my lips and shaking my head. There was another guy standing next to me and he could see I was having a hard time. He looked at me and gave me the ole eye roll and shook his head.

I went today to pick up some muriatic acid (they don't carry) and I was so sad seeing all those people buying un needed stuff. The girl behind the testing counter annoyed me so much with her "I know it all" attitude.

In her little "I'm in college making $7-8/hr world" she is the queen. In real life she's the dirty homeless girl shouting stupid stuff in the street. If only she could see it, she would be so embarrassed at what she doesn't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually like the pool store. I like the chlorine smell in there (my daughter does too :)). The staff has always been friendly. Of course, the only thing I buy is bleach... err... sorry "liquid chlorine" and muriatic acid, so I'm probably not their best customer... but whatever. I was once told by one of them (nicely) that I should run my pump for a minimum of 8 hours a day and actually 12 just to ensure proper water turnover. I said 4 hours works for me and my electric bill. I said that I tested the water daily and haven't had an algae bloom for nearly 2 year (when we bought the house), so I don't see a reason to change. I almost suggested that he come here and learn a few things, but I bit my tongue (metaphorically not literally).

*** EDITED ***

n240sxguy, do you still have your 240sx? I've always loved those cars, especially the 2nd gen 240s. What year is/was it? I had a 1990 300zx 2+2. Fun car. Still miss it. Always loved the 90's Nissans.

That car was like a lifetime ago. About 13 years actually. It was a '95. Totaled it, got a 91 MR2 turbo, sold it, got married, and had 4 kids. Life does that stuff to you sometimes. I do have a Honda magna, so I still get to have a little fun. I'd love to have a 240 or an mr2 again some day. They seem to be worth double what they were when I had them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.