Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrading pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrading pump

Hi guys.. long time reader here and I love the site. First time posting.

Motor died on my WhisperFlo WF-28 C and want to upgrade to Intelliflo VS (011018). I know I could just replace the motor, but I'd like to go ahead and have an all new wet end as well. My question is, is the gray nipple on my current pump inlet sch 80 pvc? Think I have enough room to cut the current one out and fit a new union without running into my jandy valve? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25k in ground, pentair cartridge filter, t-cell SWG, polaris 360, whisperflo wf-28c (dead!), intermatic mechanical timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upgrading pump

I,don't know if it's schedule 80, but it does appear you have sufficient room to add a union there. Carefully cute it off as close to,the pump as you can and you should have 3-4 inches to work with. Up you only need an inch nor so.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Upgrading pump

Got it in without any problems. As you said there was plenty of room for the union. Used Oatey All Purpose cement since I didn't know if it was pvc or cpvc. Purring away at 1500 rpm (300 W) right now and dry as a bone. Thanks!
    25k in ground, pentair cartridge filter, t-cell SWG, polaris 360, whisperflo wf-28c (dead!), intermatic mechanical timer