Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine affect on PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine affect on PH

Had pool replastered about 1 year ago and been on TFPC method. Have always had problem with controlling PH (goes up). Went to Leslies to buy MA & Liquid Chlorine a few weeks ago and they said problem with consistent high PH is the use of liquid chlorine. They claim that liquid chlorine raises PH. Any thoughts?

Here are current water chemistry readings:

FC=4.0
    PH=7.5
    TA=60
    CH=300
    CYA=30
    20K gal colorscapes dark gray plaster, no SWG, BBB method, variable speed hayward ecostar pump, pentair cartridge filter, hayward navigator cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Liquid Chlorine affect on PH

I disagree that it s the LC raising the PH. It may some, but I would say it is more likely because your plaster is so new from what I have read on here.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I disagree on the chlorine comment also. I would look more at your TA of 60, and maybe bring that up a tiny bit. I just brought mine up form 60 to 80 and I am putting in a lot less acid. I'm also letting the pH sit closer to 7.8.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The effect of chlorine introduced into a pool is a neutral change in pH.

True, it initially has a pH of around 11.7 I think, but the change to HCl in your pool neutralizes that and results in no appreciable change in your pH in your pool water
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Did they make a recomendation as to what they wanted you to use?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Liquid chlorine does raise pH, because it is basic..... but then, so is rain. Typical Pool Store specious argument. I'd take a look at your TA. It seems a bit low.

Your pH control issues are most likely from the replastering....