Easytouch & IC20 vs Autopilot Nano & Suntouch?

Brannon132

Platinum Supporter
May 5, 2015
Enumclaw, Wa
Hey guys,

I know nothing about controllers.... :neutral:

I was originally going to do an Autopilot Nano $720 with a Pentair Suntouch Controller kit $400 for solar panels. But after searching this I found that I can get an Pentair Easytouch 4 & IC20 for $1,100. I think it can also control my Pentair gas heater and solar but I think I would need a few extra parts ($200).

My question is what are the pros of going the EasyTouch Controller?
What way would you go?
(Is it worth the extra $200ish)

Thanks, Brannon

Thanks for the info, I think the Suntouch with an IC20 has all the features I need.

Does the Suntouch also act as the power center for the IC20? (An extra $300)

It looks like the EasyTouch IC20 combo kit doesn't need the power center?

Thanks, Brannon

Good catch. I had to do some reading to figure it out. They do not make pool automation easy or user friendly. The answer is no, the Suntouch will not power the IC20. You need the power center and the IC20. Suntouch will turn it on/off with the pump relay and control it with the comm cable.

And the other half of the question. Yes, the Easytouch will power and control the IC20 without the power center.

Go figure. Completely illogical that the Easytouch combo is cheaper and better.

To make it more confusing. You can get a suntouch with one relay and temp sensors for 300 bucks from poolsupplyunlimited and an IC20 with PC for 740 bucks. Have to dig deep to find all the info!

But, I will say that I am happy with my Solartouch, IC40 and VS pump.

Thanks pools,

Just double checking that I had my head on straight, it didn't make sense to me either.

I'm going with the EasyTouch(hopefully it will be easier...)

What I also don't get is that I can get the EasyTouch with an IC40 for the same price as an IC20.

Will I have a problem with the IC40 being too big for my pool?

Thanks Brannon

LOL, pool automation is more difficult than it needs to be. I've been looking at upgrading my Solartouch to a Suntouch anyway because I'm considering getting a heat pump and the Solartouch can't control a HP. Wasn't really thinking about an Easytouch, but you gave me an excuse to read up on it.

The IC40 will be fine for your pool. We recommend 1-1/2 to 3 times larger than your pool. So, I think the IC40 is close enough to 3x. That will allow you to run for less time and on lower percentage which should extend your cell life.

I have an Easy Touch 4 with an IC-40. The IC-40 power supply is built in. I also control my Hayward gas heater, and my 2 speed Pentair pump with the ET as well.
I recently installed a Screen Logic add on so i can control the pool off my iPhone. My PC inside the house also has the screen logic software. I have to say that setting up pump run times, relay controls, pool lights, and programming in general using the Screen Logic software on the PC is MUCH MUCH more straightforward than trying to do it off the ET box.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good to know. Thanks for the feedback. What's another 400 bucks among pool pals? :)

LOL. Yea, the $400 for the SL I thought was a bit steep. I got it basically so my wife could turn the heat on when she was out and about. Plus my ET box is in a spot that makes it a bear to get back to and mess with. The added benefit was the easier programming on the PC. If I'd have known the programming was so easy, I would have bit the bullet a few years ago and bought it.

Late to the party sorry, I'll bring the beer next time. The major point for going Easytouch is the load center. It's 150 amps of power with breakers to spare. Both the 4 & 8 can be wired or wireless controllers away from the main panel as well as using the main panel for all functions.

The 8 version allows for more gadgets to be controlled. Heater, solar heat bypass valves, lights, pump(single, 2 speed or variable) auto acid induction as well as landscape lights and Christmas lights.

It is not overly user friendly if trying to program but one touch buttons are great once it is.

I'm debating on where to install it because there's not a great place to install it next to the pool I was thinking about installing the EasyTouch on the house but the pool, pump and heater are a little over 30' away?
I'm wondering How hard is it to install an EasyTouch over 25' away?

They sell a 15' extension cable for the Intellichlor. But the downside is that it only gives you 30' total feet so it might be really close if your truly 30' away. It costs
~$120. However, if your a little less than 30', it should work. Also remember, if you mount the ET box away from the house, you will have to buy more conduit, more wire, and will have to drive a grounding rod since its not mounted on the house. By the time you bought the extra material and lumber to build something to mount it on, the $120 for the extension cord would end up cheaper in the long run, not to mention easier to install.

My load center is over a hundred feet away from the house on two 4x4 Support posts. The pool equipment is less than 5 ft. Away. You can run the wire from your main panel to the load center and it can be as close to the equipment as you need. Just have to have the correct size wire to account for load loss.
This gives me another power source out in the "back 40"

I like the idea of having a few outlets on that side of my deck for a few lights our stereo so I think I'm going to grab some 4x4's... :)

What size wires would you guys suggest I run to the EasyTouch?

I'll need to run my pump/heater/solar actuator and swg. But would like to have the ability to upgrade to a vs pump or heat pump in the future...

What size wires would you guys suggest I run to the EasyTouch?

For 100 amp service to the easy touch, 100 amp breaker in the main, then run #3 copper or #2 aluminum out to the ET box. You can run #6 copper for the ground. I'd use 2" conduit. Easier to pull the wires.
Where is you main panel located? Are you going to get a sparky to do this or you going to try it on your own?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.