Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for energy efficient replacement motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for energy efficient replacement motor

My motor is screaming at me and I'm planning on replacing it with the most energy efficient option that still functions well. The pool is 18,000 gallons. Would you guys recommend a 2-speed? Here is a pic of what I have now: Pump motor.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for energy efficient replacement motor

Any recommendations?

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP

A two speed, if you run it in low speed a lot will be more energy efficient but we will need to see more information on you set up. If you could add your pool details to your signature we can take a looke at it. Type/size of filter, or other details like waterfalls, returns and sheer descents may effect it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Please update your signature as shown here.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Signature added. Am I missing any critical info?
    18,000 gal, AG steel wall/vinyl liner. One drain, one skimmer. Installed in 2008.
    Filter - Pentair FNS Plus Vertical Grid D.E.
    Pump - Pentair SuperFlo 3/4 HP, 230V self priming, single speed
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Turbo Cell
    Dolphin dynamic cleaning robot, auto cover, no water features

6. Back To Top    #6

Again, I am looking to replace my pump motor and would love any input on what you guys would recommend or do in my situation.
    18,000 gal, AG steel wall/vinyl liner. One drain, one skimmer. Installed in 2008.

7. Back To Top    #7

Any pump experts here able to chime in?

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm no expert but I just installed a Pentair wisperflo 1hp 2 speed on Saturday & I like it so far FWIW.
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

9. Back To Top    #9

Seems like a 2 speed version of what you have would be good.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Maybe someone can confirm, but it appears the Century B2980 motor would work. It has the same physical specs (56Y frame size, square face mounting). The only part that doesn't match is the total HP; your existing pump is .98THP and the B2980 is 1.25THP, but I believe it's okay to run a higher HP motor with your existing impeller and not the other way around. I have the larger Century B2982 and it's great. There is also the B2980T which has a timer.

Make sure to get a new seal and I like to replace the o-rings too.
    ============================================================ ===========================================
    12,000 gal. IG Colorquartz, 1.65hp Sta-Rite with 2-spd motor, 300sf cartridge, disabled SWG, AquaLogic P4, Polaris 280, gas+solar, 6' sheer descent with dedicated pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks!! That looks like it may be the answer. I read somewhere that I may need to be careful with the pressure because I have a DE filter. Is there any reason to believe that it would not be okay to run a pump on low speed because of this?

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, bignick has that right, no worries runnin that pump on high or low speed.
    TFP Moderator