Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: McKinney, TX First Time Pool Owner (New Build)

1. Back To Top    #1

McKinney, TX First Time Pool Owner (New Build)

I am looking for some input and validation. I just received my first bid (2 more coming).

Pool
    Size: 31x15
    Spa Size: 8'6" x 6'6'' (6 jets)
    Depth: 3.5 x 5
    Pool/Spa Area: 471
    14,351 gal
    Pump: Pentair Intelliflow VS
    Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge
    Controls: Screenlogic
    Cleaner: Pentair Racer w/Booster Pump
    Heater: Pentair Master Temp 400K Btu Low Nox
    Sanitizer: Nature2 Fusion System
    Pool Interior: Quartzscape

Construction Specifics: 1/2" rebar throughout, Shotcrete, 2 1/2" suction lines, water way jets in spa

Coping: Oklahoma Flagstone

Decking: 710, Belgard pavers

Price: $60,344

Questions:
    Pump: Is this the appropriate pump for this pool?
    Filter: Difference between Cartridge vs. DE?
    Gunite vs. Shotcrete? This PB states shotcrete superior to gunite (i.e. PSI variance). Other PB states they are pretty similar but he uses gunite.

Still trying to decide between SWG and traditional chlorine. PBs here all promote Ozone. Confused on Ozone because this forum seems to think Ozone is waste of money. PB says that is usually because PBs install chlorine supported by Ozone vs. Ozone as primary sanitation with some chlorine added. Is there a difference in effectiveness if using Del Ozone Corona Discharge vs. UV?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Obtaining estimates for 14,500 gal, IG, plaster, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS Pump, spa, undecided between Nature 2 Fusion and SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: McKinney, TX First Time Pool Owner (New Build)

I won't comment on pricing because it really does vary by market. The Texas pools always appear to cost less than a Florida pool. (Go figure!) Your setup and equipment seem reasonable for the size. From my perspective, I would not choose the sanitizer or use ozone. SWG is the dominant trend on the board and - in our first six months - I'm very pleased with our SWG system. It has been remarkably maintenance free. I have yet to add chlorine or salt... Hard to argue with that!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

from everything I have read on here, trade the Ozone and nature 2 and get a 40k/45k salt water generator... you have pentair equipment so I would go with a pentair IC40 with a controller, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-520593.../dp/B002FQIZ9A

I have ozone in my hot tub and guess what, I got white algae, ozone also likes to eat chlorine so you are suppose to use bromine...

That was how I found this site
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

We love our SWG, I def recommend getting one.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I cannot comment on the Nature 2 as I have no experience with them. I can tell you the corona discharge ozone was completely worthless. I had one on my previous pool and it did absolutely nothing to reduce chlorine demand, or provide any noticeable benefits.

I recommend the VS pump. It saves on energy and gives you the flexibility to run any speed you want.
    Phoenix, AZ
    Unknown pool size -Diving pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Questions:*
    Pump: Is this the appropriate pump for this pool? Yes, that will work great, love mine.
    Filter: Difference between Cartridge vs. DE? Personal preference, I prefer cart v DE
    Gunite vs. Shotcrete? This PB states shotcrete superior to gunite (i.e. PSI variance). Other PB states they are pretty similar but he uses gunite.* You will never know the difference, both probably have lifetime guarantee.
    Every pool I ever have will be saltwater, love it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Questions:*
    Pump: Is this the appropriate pump for this pool? Yes, that will work great, love mine.
    Filter: Difference between Cartridge vs. DE? Personal preference, I prefer cart v DE
    Gunite vs. Shotcrete? This PB states shotcrete superior to gunite (i.e. PSI variance). Other PB states they are pretty similar but he uses gunite.* You will never know the difference, both probably have lifetime guarantee.
    Every pool I ever have will be saltwater, love it.
    Thank you for the feedback. I feel better about the PBs recommendations.
    Obtaining estimates for 14,500 gal, IG, plaster, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS Pump, spa, undecided between Nature 2 Fusion and SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Good luck and another recommendation to stay clear of the ozone/nature 2 systems.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by melrichardson View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. I feel better about the PBs recommendations.
    You're welcome. Here is an article discussing different filter types to give you some additional info.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ter-comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Good luck and another recommendation to stay clear of the ozone/nature 2 systems.
    +1 on deleting that.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post

Thanks for the recommendation

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for article and recommendations.