Big Things Happenning! New build underway

May 8, 2015
West Sacramento, CA
This is my first post and I'm sooooo excited that I found this forum. I'm anticipating my work production to be cut in half and lots of whining from my girlfriend... "get off the computer, babe!" Anyway, I broke ground on 4/14, and here we are 3 weeks later and the tile and coping will be finished tomorrow. My builder has had the subs lined up one after another and things are moving along well.

Attachments

• IMG_3231.jpg
    IMG_3231.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,071
  • IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_3223.jpg
    IMG_3223.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,055
  • IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3247.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,059
  • IMG_3248.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,063
Coping and tile is doneski!
55767aba636252f0521f59d3750db201.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Exactly! That's how I felt when the big toys were delivered - Christmas! My favorite photo is your first one with your arms out wide! That's excitement! I know we're all excited about our pool builds, but you take it to the next level. That's so fun to watch and read. You're reminding me to have more fun with my build and let go of the little buggy things and superficial decisions. Thanks!

Your pool is lovely! It's going to be one of those pools where people can't wait to go out and relax, totally relax. Then play like crazy!

What is your coping and the stones or brick on the raised beam? I haven't seen anything like that in our Houston area. I think it is just what I need to blend with my house brick. That would really push my PB over the edge, "This is Suz, I have a change to make with the materials for my pool!" LOL!!!

Keep those great pictures and that enthusiasm coming! Take care. Suz.

Exactly! That's how I felt when the big toys were delivered - Christmas! My favorite photo is your first one with your arms out wide! That's excitement! I know we're all excited about our pool builds, but you take it to the next level. That's so fun to watch and read. You're reminding me to have more fun with my build and let go of the little buggy things and superficial decisions. Thanks!

Your pool is lovely! It's going to be one of those pools where people can't wait to go out and relax, totally relax. Then play like crazy!

What is your coping and the stones or brick on the raised beam? I haven't seen anything like that in our Houston area. I think it is just what I need to blend with my house brick. That would really push my PB over the edge, "This is Suz, I have a change to make with the materials for my pool!" LOL!!!

Keep those great pictures and that enthusiasm coming! Take care. Suz.

Suz, thanks for the compliments. I've been having a good time designing my pool, but yeah at times there are decisions to be made that you cant really 'undo'. I don't want to look back on it and say "I wish I had done it the other way." As far as making changes to your build, PB's hate it but remember...they're working for YOU! It will set you back some time and maybe $$, but dont get stuck in the "I wish" scenario.

To answer your question, the coping is called Noce Toros, it's a Travertine from Turkey (I think) and it is cut in slabs of 12"x24"x2". I don't recall the name or color of porcilean tile at the waterline and raised beam, but it's a 6"x12" stacked in a subway tile layout with staggard joints to compliment the block wall at the back of my yard. I haven't seen many walls faced with tile in this layout, and neither did the designer. I chose this rectangular tile and layout to accentuate the length of the wall with the continuous horizontal grout joints. I worked with a tile setter for a couple years and he tought me a little bit about design. I'm really excited on how its coming along. :)

Gorgeous use of space and the hardscaping is lovely!

Just curious- how is California dealing with filling pools in this drought? Do you have to pay a lot extra or truck it in or.....what?

YippeeSkippy, Thanks for the compliments. The drought thing is a touchy subject. Last Friday, my city was the first in the State of Cali to impose Stage 3 water restrictions. These harsher regs limit landscape watering to one day a week (im an odd number address so I water on Saturday), No washing cars without the use of an auto shutoff nozzle, no washing down driveways or sidewalks, and NO FILLING POOLS WITH POTABLE WATER. This action was announced in mid may, 2.5 months after I had applied for a pool permit. Here I am a week from filling my pool, nearly over budget, and now I have to pay for a couple truckloads of water to come in from another municipality. The City says they're being progressive, but I say they're being short-sighted. To be honest, I'm not yet sure how much a water truck would cost. I'm going to fill my pool with water. I am going to contribute to the drought in order to protect my investment. Why would it matter if it comes out of my tap, or from someone else's tap in the next county over? Because there is no precedent for these regulations, Code Enforcement didn't even know how much of a fine would be incurred for someone filling their pool with the city's water. I was informed, however, that a first time offense would get a written warning. Hmmmm.. Anyway, if my build was a week ahead of where it is now...it would already be full. BTW, my water use is metered but I pay a flat monthly rate for water, sewer, and trash. I guess I need to determine what costs more: the fine from the city? or the cost of a water delivery?

We'd be happy to divert a few weeks of rain your way from SE Texas if it helps.
You gotta take the frogs and mosquitoes as well, they come as a set.

[emoji106]?Yes Please!![emoji106]? I've been seeing all your crazy weather on the news every night, along with big hail, heavy rain and tornadoes. Pretty scary stuff. Also, the East Coast had a huge winter while we barely had any rain. Lest build giant pipelines so we can all share!

My PB hasn't been at my build for about a week ("you mean I'm not your only client?") so I got bored. I asked him if I could go ahead and add some mosaic accents and step tile before the plaster crew comes in. I used to set tile for a couple years after college, so He agreed to let me have at it. Found the tile mosaic and blue glass squares at Home Depot. I'm in it for about $100 including thinset, polymer additive, and grout. Took me about 8 hrs total over two days working at a snail's pace, but I'm super pumped on how it's looking!

161ec6fe0111a5db6e7bebe77304d296.jpg
359d0031e9841919245899b86c2b46c9.jpg
40b1321f6ea986184c09cd2934ab86b0.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.