Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Things Happenning! New build underway

1. Back To Top    #1

Big Things Happenning! New build underway

This is my first post and I'm sooooo excited that I found this forum. I'm anticipating my work production to be cut in half and lots of whining from my girlfriend... "get off the computer, babe!" Anyway, I broke ground on 4/14, and here we are 3 weeks later and the tile and coping will be finished tomorrow. My builder has had the subs lined up one after another and things are moving along well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In-Ground Rectangle, 13,000 gallons, 12'x32', 6'X12' Cabo shelf, Medium Tahoe Blue Plaster, 40' of raised bond beam with two 3' sheer descent falls, Noche Toros 12"x24"x2" full bullnose Travertine coping, Pentair Intelliflow w/ cartrige filter, Pentair Intellitouch w/ iPhone control, 900sqft Belgard Paver Classic Cobble decking

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Big Things Happenning! New build underway

Welcome to TFP! Very nice pool! You will really enjoy it when you are finished! If you order a test kit now you can practice testing and be ready to go as soon as its full!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool pool. Look like fun!
    New DIY IG pool in Houston, Texas. 4/30 dig to 6/11 fill. 20' x 42.5' free form pool/raised spa with the following equipment: 3hp Intelliflow pump shared between pool/spa, 120gpm Pentair Waterfall pump, 6' sheer decent, 2 bubblers, 2 large color LEDs in the pool/1 small in the spa, Easytouch 8 with ScreenLogic2, Stenner Pump, auto fill, a 2HP silencer pump for the spa, 850 sq. ft Sundeck, Dolphin Supreme M500 and a TF100+mixer

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome! Looks nice!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. Great looking pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Coping and tile is doneski!

In-Ground Rectangle, 13,000 gallons, 12'x32', 6'X12' Cabo shelf, Medium Tahoe Blue Plaster, 40' of raised bond beam with two 3' sheer descent falls, Noche Toros 12"x24"x2" full bullnose Travertine coping, Pentair Intelliflow w/ cartrige filter, Pentair Intellitouch w/ iPhone control, 900sqft Belgard Paver Classic Cobble decking

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Your PB is flying!! His work looks nice, too!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I gotta do something about that wood fence. Any ideas?

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to the site. Looks great so far.
    Plano, TX
    20,000 gallons Kidney Bean IG Plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear 530 Cartridge Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Damon805 View Post
    I gotta do something about that wood fence. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Replace with cedar or power wash and stain it. Looking wonderful.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Christmas come early this year!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Exactly! That's how I felt when the big toys were delivered - Christmas! My favorite photo is your first one with your arms out wide! That's excitement! I know we're all excited about our pool builds, but you take it to the next level. That's so fun to watch and read. You're reminding me to have more fun with my build and let go of the little buggy things and superficial decisions. Thanks!

Your pool is lovely! It's going to be one of those pools where people can't wait to go out and relax, totally relax. Then play like crazy!

What is your coping and the stones or brick on the raised beam? I haven't seen anything like that in our Houston area. I think it is just what I need to blend with my house brick. That would really push my PB over the edge, "This is Suz, I have a change to make with the materials for my pool!" LOL!!!

Keep those great pictures and that enthusiasm coming! Take care. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

Gorgeous use of space and the hardscaping is lovely!

Just curious- how is California dealing with filling pools in this drought? Do you have to pay a lot extra or truck it in or.....what?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

14. Back To Top    #14

The lawn probably drank more water that the pool will over a few years.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by SuzfromTexas View Post
    Exactly! That's how I felt when the big toys were delivered - Christmas! My favorite photo is your first one with your arms out wide! That's excitement! I know we're all excited about our pool builds, but you take it to the next level. That's so fun to watch and read. You're reminding me to have more fun with my build and let go of the little buggy things and superficial decisions. Thanks!

Your pool is lovely! It's going to be one of those pools where people can't wait to go out and relax, totally relax. Then play like crazy!

What is your coping and the stones or brick on the raised beam? I haven't seen anything like that in our Houston area. I think it is just what I need to blend with my house brick. That would really push my PB over the edge, "This is Suz, I have a change to make with the materials for my pool!" LOL!!!

Keep those great pictures and that enthusiasm coming! Take care. Suz.
    Suz, thanks for the compliments. I've been having a good time designing my pool, but yeah at times there are decisions to be made that you cant really 'undo'. I don't want to look back on it and say "I wish I had done it the other way." As far as making changes to your build, PB's hate it but remember...they're working for YOU! It will set you back some time and maybe $$, but dont get stuck in the "I wish" scenario.

To answer your question, the coping is called Noce Toros, it's a Travertine from Turkey (I think) and it is cut in slabs of 12"x24"x2". I don't recall the name or color of porcilean tile at the waterline and raised beam, but it's a 6"x12" stacked in a subway tile layout with staggard joints to compliment the block wall at the back of my yard. I haven't seen many walls faced with tile in this layout, and neither did the designer. I chose this rectangular tile and layout to accentuate the length of the wall with the continuous horizontal grout joints. I worked with a tile setter for a couple years and he tought me a little bit about design. I'm really excited on how its coming along.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Gorgeous use of space and the hardscaping is lovely!

Just curious- how is California dealing with filling pools in this drought? Do you have to pay a lot extra or truck it in or.....what?
    YippeeSkippy, Thanks for the compliments. The drought thing is a touchy subject. Last Friday, my city was the first in the State of Cali to impose Stage 3 water restrictions. These harsher regs limit landscape watering to one day a week (im an odd number address so I water on Saturday), No washing cars without the use of an auto shutoff nozzle, no washing down driveways or sidewalks, and NO FILLING POOLS WITH POTABLE WATER. This action was announced in mid may, 2.5 months after I had applied for a pool permit. Here I am a week from filling my pool, nearly over budget, and now I have to pay for a couple truckloads of water to come in from another municipality. The City says they're being progressive, but I say they're being short-sighted. To be honest, I'm not yet sure how much a water truck would cost. I'm going to fill my pool with water. I am going to contribute to the drought in order to protect my investment. Why would it matter if it comes out of my tap, or from someone else's tap in the next county over? Because there is no precedent for these regulations, Code Enforcement didn't even know how much of a fine would be incurred for someone filling their pool with the city's water. I was informed, however, that a first time offense would get a written warning. Hmmmm.. Anyway, if my build was a week ahead of where it is now...it would already be full. BTW, my water use is metered but I pay a flat monthly rate for water, sewer, and trash. I guess I need to determine what costs more: the fine from the city? or the cost of a water delivery?

17. Back To Top    #17

We'd be happy to divert a few weeks of rain your way from SE Texas if it helps.
    You gotta take the frogs and mosquitoes as well, they come as a set.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

18. Back To Top    #18

🏻Yes Please!!🏻 I've been seeing all your crazy weather on the news every night, along with big hail, heavy rain and tornadoes. Pretty scary stuff. Also, the East Coast had a huge winter while we barely had any rain. Lest build giant pipelines so we can all share!

19. Back To Top    #19

My PB hasn't been at my build for about a week ("you mean I'm not your only client?") so I got bored. I asked him if I could go ahead and add some mosaic accents and step tile before the plaster crew comes in. I used to set tile for a couple years after college, so He agreed to let me have at it. Found the tile mosaic and blue glass squares at Home Depot. I'm in it for about $100 including thinset, polymer additive, and grout. Took me about 8 hrs total over two days working at a snail's pace, but I'm super pumped on how it's looking!

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

That looks great! I love the glass set inside the mosaic. And the best part? You did it! Awesome - what's next? Take care. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast