Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New and a little confused

1. Back To Top    #1

New and a little confused

Got my pool at the end of last year so it was put up and closed on the same day. So this is my fist summer opening and using the pool. I am already with my tf100 test kit (yeah for quick shipping!). Want to open the pool this weekend, I read and re-read the pool school. Just a few questions: 1. I know I check the ph level first, do I adjust that and the fc all at the same time? I.e add bleach and muriatic acid? And 2. Since I am new I have nothing, I know I need bleach, but approximately hoe many muriatic acids do I buy (store isn't that close) and how many borax do I buy. Any other things I will need from the beginning? Thanks for any help you can give!!!
    5,700 gallon, Carribean Isle 15x52 Round Above Pool.
    Cartridge Filter.
    Installed Fall, 2014.
    North New Jersey
    Using the TF100 test

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: New and a little confused

It is very hard to estimate acid requirements, in fact depending on individual pool conditions some pools use no acid at all, much the same can be true for borax.

p.s. as to the first part of your question, adjust pH, wait a few minutes, then you can work on adjusting FC
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

First thing you do is make sure it's full and the pump is running and there are no leaks. Let it run at least half an hour before you do anything chemically. Skimming, vacuuming, and struggling to fold up the cover is okay.

Then run a full set of tests. If you're nervous, watch the videos. Test everything. You don't know how much stabilizer, if any, was added last year. If you post the results, someone should be along to advise you within an hour or so. Also, let us know what the water looks like. A clear pool requires a different approach than a green chunky pool.

As far as shopping ahead of time, about all I can recommend is a few gallons of plain bleach until you have readings. You know you'll need that eventually. You might need acid to lower pH, or you might need Borax to raise it. You won't need both, so don't buy both yet. You might need Baking Soda, but how much depends on test results. So that has to wait, too. So does CYA. Low Calcium is no problem with a vinyl pool, so you'll never have to buy any Calcium increaser.

We'll get you through this. No matter how yucky the pool has become, there's no reason it can't be crystal clear and sparkling before Memorial Day. And you'll have the chemistry mastered and find the whole daily routine pretty boring by Fourth of July. You'll also likely become a pool snob by then, too, and avoid other pools that don;t meet your standards.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Longview, Texas

Like Richard said, some bleach and Muriatic to start.

It doesnt take much muriatic to make a big change in Ph, so one will probably be enough. But you really cant be sure until you test.

Go ahead and post up some results as soon as you can, and we can advise you better.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!