Flow director won't turn - AquaLuminator flow director with light

May 8, 2015
cameron, wv
We have a 24 foot above ground pool. It has an Aqualuminator light/flow director. Last year the flow director turned, allowing us to direct the flow of the water as we wanted. This year the director will not turn. We did not touch this when we winterized. We left the light and flow director in the pool wall. We have tried loosening the nut on the light from the outside of the pool. The light easily moves but we still could not move the flow director. My husband is pretty strong, so I don't think the problem is lack of muscle power. This would probably not be such a big deal but the flow is almost straight up...which we never used in that position in the first place....and the water is splashing underneath the rail and then dripping down the outside of the pool at the seam of the rail and wall. We contact the seller /installer of the pool and were told the flow director with the light doesn't move at all. Which I disagree with for two reasons. One, it moved all last year and two, the business owner/installer showed us how to move it upon install. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

We've been working on this off and on for 3 days. Once I posted my problem, we resolved the problem! Glad it's fixed. Posting our fix here in case someone else has the same problem. We loosened the light from the backside of the pool (following manufacturer's directions) and pushed it to the inside of the pool just enough to make sure it was loose and not affecting the flow director, but kept the water from flowing out of the pool. Obviously it is best to do this before the water is in the pool but our pool was already full. My husband gently tapped on the flow director with a wrench (like you would a jar when you cannot get the lid off). It is plastic so we had to be careful to not hit it too hard and crack the plastic. This released the flow director to where it would now spin freely and loosely. We pushed the light back in towards the outside of the pool and tightened the plastic nut (part that keeps the light in place on the outside of the pool--see PDF doc). We made sure not to over tighten...so we can still turn the flow director. Here is a link to a PDF document that we used for accessing and removing the light. There are several versions of this online. http://pentairpool.com/pdfs/AquaLuminator1OM.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.