Does anyone know what this is on my pool plaster surface??

codyS

May 8, 2015
Gilbert/AZ
Hello,

I am new to the forum. This place is great and I am hopeful to get some great advice.

I will start with my latest test results. I added two gallons of liquid chlorine yesterday so it is still reading high.

FC 10.2
TC 10.8
PH 7.2
TA 91
Hardness 271
CH no info
CYA 60

I am also pretty new to owning a pool. Our pool sat empty for a couple of years after we bought the house. It was in pretty bad condition. We decided to get it up and running for some fun in the sun this year. We hired a contractor to chip out the old plaster, repair some cracks, and then re-plaster with a white plaster. Everything went pretty good. When the contractor was done he put the hose in the bottom of the deep end with a towel wrapped around the end of it. It took about 24 hours to fill.

I was instructed to brush it twice a day for the first week and then once a day for the following weeks and run the pump non-stop until the pool gets clear. I was not given any instruction on what to do with the chemistry of the water. So, I went ahead and brushed the pool as instructed. I searched online for instructions on how to open a pool with new plaster. I opted for the traditional route. If i remember it involved a lot of brushing and vacuuming with a vacuum brush. It was important to use a vacuum brush so the wheels do not compact the plaster dust. Okay, a couple of days go by and the bottom starts to come into view. There was some back-washing involved. I kept an eye on the pressure gauge and back-washed after the needle crept up from 10 to 16 or 18. I also added 64oz of Beautec scale controller. Enough for an initial treatment of 21k gal. I added 5 lbs of CYA and started adding acid. I added two gallons of chlorine but I think it burned off pretty fast because there was not enough CYA. It was still the middle of March so it was not quite hot yet. I probably benefited from the lower temps. I was going to a couple of different pool stores and buying all kinds of chemicals. I know the ph got away from me for about a week or 10 days. I would add 1/2 gal and it would still read high. I would add 1/2 gal the next day and it would still be high. I finally bought 3 cases of acid. I would add 1/2 gal in the morning and 1/2 gal in the evening if it needed it. I just recently got the ph to a normal level.

So, I know the pool was opened poorly. And that brings me to my question. The plaster developed some discoloration over several weeks. I cannot say for sure when it started showing up. I didn't think anything of it because it looked so awesome when the guys finished with it. It was really spectacular. A very brilliant white. Anyway, my wife pointed it out to me and I started to keep an eye on it. It was getting worse. I am now more than concerned. The water is crystal clear and you can see each grey splotch. It is mostly concentrated in the deep end. I have been doing some research and that has left me lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a meeting with the contractor set for Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 83
Please test your tap water and post the results for pH, alkalinity, and calcium hardness.
Try to feel with your hand the dark gray areas to see if they are rough to the touch and different than the white areas.
Did you add any chemical that contains copper such as an algaecide?
When was the pool re-plastered?

Looks like metal staining.

when I bought my home last september the pool looked nice but the PH was very low...like 6.8

after adding 45 lbs of ph up over a period of two weeks, to get it to 7.5, I started to see what you have.

Everything I've read here indicates metal staining. I still haven't done anything about it.

in hindsight I should have just done a bunch of partial drains and refills. My tap water has
perfect for tfp pools PH & TA but lacks calcium and cya (of course)

I tested my tap water. Here are the results.

ph 7.6
CH 220
TA 110

I rubbed the wall where some of the discoloration was and I could not feel much difference in texture. I have not added any algaecide that contains copper. The pool was replastered March 17th of this year.

I noticed some water got into my pool light enclosure. Could that be introducing metals into the water? I'm not sure if the discoloration was happening before the light was compromised.

Also, when the guys showed up to do the work they looked a little tired. They said it was their 3rd pool to shoot that day. Is that normal? I fed them a bunch of pulled pork sandwiches to help them out. I figured it would help them do a good job if they got something to eat beforehand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you added a lot of acid, like more than a gallon at one time?
I should have also asked you to take a plastic bottle with a squirt top, put some acid into it, and then squirt the acid underwater on the gray discoloration.
If it removes the discoloration quickly, it is a metal stain. If the gray is not removed, then it is probably gray mottling discoloration of the plaster itself.

The most I added at one time is 1/2 gal. I pour it into a bucket with a couple gallons of water and then pour it along the edge of the deep end.

I will try and squirt the gray area with the squirt bottle and see how that goes. I read about gray mottling. I am really hoping that it is not gray mottling.

I should have mentioned that there is another way to test to see if the discoloration is copper staining, which color is usually blue/green (turquoise) and sometimes black.
A popular method on TFP is to use Vitamin C tablets that are placed against the discoloration and waiting only a minute or two to see if the stain is removed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.