Spa still losing water overnight after replacing check valve

bware

Platinum Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
The Woodlands, TX
I recently replaced the Jandy check valve to stop the spa from leaking down overnight with pump off and it did not fix it. Would one of the Pentair valves be the culprit or do I need to look elsewhere?
I have attached a pic of my equipment pad.
Thanks
Bob

Pool%20Equipment%20Pad_zpszmcypglr.jpg
[/URL]

I'm assuming the line on the left is the spa circulation, the middle is the pool return and the right is the spa return?

Its hard to tell from the picture but it almost looks like the check valve flapper is upside down...it may just be a reflection though but worth looking into?

I'm assuming the line on the left is the spa circulation, the middle is the pool return and the right is the spa return?

Its hard to tell from the picture but it almost looks like the check valve flapper is upside down...it may just be a reflection though but worth looking into?

Yes, the line on left with Jandy check valve is the spa return and I replaced the valve the same way it came out with the flapper on the top and silicone dressing on the o-ring for a good seal. I could not see any wear or stress on the old one, but I understand they can lose spring tension with age and leak, but evidently this was not the problem with my leakdown.
Thanks for the thoughts. :handshake:

If the spa is still draining, the only thing other than the check valve that is suspect is the three-way valve. I would highly doubt that the valve is the issue but at this point it may warrant an inspection.

That check valve orientation is far from ideal.

If the spa is still draining, the only thing other than the check valve that is suspect is the three-way valve. I would highly doubt that the valve is the issue but at this point it may warrant an inspection.

That check valve orientation is far from ideal.

Yes, the 3 way is my thought, but what is your idea of the ideal check valve orientation? This is the way it's been for 9 years and I've seen many in this same configuration.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the 3 way is my thought, but what is your idea of the ideal check valve orientation? This is the way it's been for 9 years and I've seen many in this same configuration.

Horizontal with the lid facing up is the preferred orientation. You are correct, your configuration is very common, but you are primarily relying on the spring pressure to close the flapper and keep it closed.

I still suspect your check valve is not seating properly.

I would replace the tee with a three port valve so you can control the flow to the spa, place a check valve horizontally and then use an elbow to route the pipe down to your spa return line. With your plumbing set up, I don't think this would be all that difficult, although you would have to dig down and reposition the spa return line.

Reactions: Pools by A
Horizontal with the lid facing up is the preferred orientation. You are correct, your configuration is very common, but you are primarily relying on the spring pressure to close the flapper and keep it closed.

I still suspect your check valve is not seating properly.

I would replace the tee with a three port valve so you can control the flow to the spa, place a check valve horizontally and then use an elbow to route the pipe down to your spa return line. With your plumbing set up, I don't think this would be all that difficult, although you would have to dig down and reposition the spa return line.

Well, Brian, I appreciate your input. I am certainly not a PB, but the one that put this pool in has built many and of course when I hired him I put my trust in him to make the right decisions, plumbing included. I can't get past the fact that I've only had this particular check valve replaced once about 5 years ago, in the same configuration and the spa has not leaked down again until now so I'm reasonably sure there is some other culprit responsible that is yet to be discovered. Thanks again for your input.

Bob

I've had the main drain floor plugs leak. Mine have two ports which only one is used and the other is plugged. If you have a hydrostatic valve in one of the main drains that could be it too. I bought a dye bottle kit for looking for leaks. It was about 15bucks online.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.