Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well water fill

1. Back To Top    #1

Well water fill

Hello!

I am setting up a proseries 16'x48" AGP for the first time this summer. For now, I have the stock pump. My fancy test kit is the mail (Taylor K2006), planning on BBB... But for now, I'm still working on digging down my hillside site to level. One shovelful at a time. There will be an uphill retaining wall involved. Side question: I do have foam insulation for underneath- any utility in a thin layer of sand as well?

We have a well with very good supply, but the water is quite hard and sulferous. For house use, we put it through two carbon filters and a softener, and then an RO for drinking.

What parameters should affect my decision to:
    1) use the straight well water
    2) take it post- filtration
    3) take it post-softening
    or have it delivered?

I don't have my test kit yet, though I could dig up some water quality testing I had done for the home a few years ago.
    Elizabeth

16'x48" ProSeries

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Well water fill

Welcome! Post your results from well testing in the past. This will help give us an idea of how to advise you.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Lisa is leading you in the right direction, we need info on the well water to make a suggestion
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!
    Here's what I've got:

Sulfur: present
    pH: 8.0
    Iron: 0.5ppm
    Chlorine: not present
    Hardness: 9gpg
    Total dissolved solids: 450-500ppm

I used to test my tapwater hardness about every month until we got a good softening rhythm established, but haven't monitored any other levels. The bathwater is aquamarine, so I guess there is plenty of iron still in the water post-treatment. If we keep the carbon filters fresh, the sulfur smell is unnoticable post-filtration.
    Last edited by mommao; 05-08-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
    Elizabeth

16'x48" ProSeries

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The iron and sulfur would be my concerns. Your pool is vinyl so hardness is not a huge concern.

If the iron and sulfer are filtered out then I would probably go that route. If it is not then maybe call around and see what a truck delivery would cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Your pool holds about 5300 gallons according to pool math. You cannot fill the pool the full 48"
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I suggest you fill the pool with trucked water (assuming it contains no iron) and then use your filtered water for refills.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, Dave and Lisa. I'll call around for a quote or at least consider filling it from past the filters. My husband was wondering if the sulphur would dissipate from the water given some time. Any thoughts?
    Elizabeth

16'x48" ProSeries

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I am not sure if the sulfer will disappate or not. You may want to try the search box and see if anything comes up.
    Lisa

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Lisa

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay, another question: if I were to fill it straight from the well, what problems would I have to expect? Is there anything about the iron and sulphur that would make balancing the chemistry difficult, or is it just the issues of smell/ staining the pool? Thanks!
    Elizabeth

16'x48" ProSeries

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I really do not know, but I am sure someone else will.
    Lisa

12. Back To Top    #12

If the iron content is too high then it can precipitate out when exposed to chlorine turning the water brown, this can be treated by the repeated additions of metal sequesterants which keep the iron in solution in the water. The downside here is you have to replenish the sequesterants as they breakdown over time. My water has little/no iron so I can't tell you too many details on amount, cost, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Enough Iron in your well water (maybe .5 ppm or more) will be problematic as Isaac says above.

That's why you run it through a softener in your house.

If you could make the fill with trucked in (iron-free) water and then refill through the filters, your troubles will be over. Otherwise, you may be adding sequestrant as long as you own the pool.

I have no familiarity with Sulfur but I suspect it gases out quickly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Update:
    We decided the price of trucked water made filling it ourselves worth a shot. We grabbed it after carbon filtration and softening. There is no sulfur smell and it feels great, but we are getting the classic clear green hue (thank you, TFPers and your cameras, for alleviating my algae fears...) from the iron during our first SLAM. Not sure yet whether to bother with sequestrant or not... the color wasn't too bad before SLAMing.

...then there's always that bottle of blue dye ("make it party perfect!") that came with our used pool. How's that for antithetical to TFP?
    Elizabeth

16'x48" ProSeries

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

We don't care for Clarifier here. If the water has a green tint then this may help you.

Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    Lisa

16. Back To Top    #16

So, I popped a polyfill-stuffed sock into the skimmer basket a few nights ago, and it grabbed quite a bit of the iron. The pump didn't seem to have too much trouble sucking through it. I rinsed it out a few times, filtering through it maybe 20 hours total. I gave the bottom a vacuuming through the sock filter, too. The water is now a gorgeous aquamarine, even with the FC up. If iron is so easy to filter out, I wonder why people spend cash on sequestrant... I'll update if the color returns or I find some other downside! Any thoughts, wise and experienced ones?
    Elizabeth

16'x48" ProSeries

17. Back To Top    #17

(I mean, obviously the sock/stuffing isn't going to grab soluble iron, but if you use it while you have FC at shock level and thus a lot of the iron precipitated out, it seems like it could be effective in removing enough not to have gross water next time round... And if you do, another round of filtering is still much cheaper than an $18+ bottle of sequestrant. Right?)
    Elizabeth

16'x48" ProSeries

18. Back To Top    #18

Almost a month out and the water is still lovely. Sock and stuffing for the win.
    Elizabeth

16'x48" ProSeries