Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opinion on this IG pool quote in San Francisco Bay Area

1. Back To Top    #1

Opinion on this IG pool quote in San Francisco Bay Area

Inground gunite pool quote that we received.

Rectangular pool 18'x37' that is 3'6"-6' deep
    5'x7' in-pool spa
    Sun shelf
    2 Pool lights, 1 spa light
    Precast coping
    4' salt finish deck around entire pool
    Automation
    Pentair equipment - 3hp VS pump
    Polaris cleaner
    Wet Edge plaster
    Auto cover with "walk on" lid

All this for about $95k in the Bay Area. My yard is flat and easily accessible.

Is this price outrageous? Compared to others parts of the country I feel it is. I've had very similar quotes so I guess this is typical in the area? A few PBs have told me that they are actually busier because of the drought. Maybe that affects the price a bit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Opinion on this IG pool quote in San Francisco Bay Area

That's a $60K+ pool in MD. So $95K for SF doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Just call it BART (Bay Area Ripoff Tax). Oh, the humor. Though not for your pocket book.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's a few K over our bid, but our pool was 16x32, same depths. Our spa was 7x7' above ground and we had 2,000 sf of salt finish decking.
    16'x32' 15,000 gal, 7'x7' Raised Spa, Coverstar Autocover, Stonescapes Mini Pebble - Midnight Blue, Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Mastertemp 400BTU NG Heater, Pentair 420 Sf Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS+, Dolphin Z5, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have it itemized? What was the auto cover, about 15k?

Seems kind of expensive, I'd get a few more bids, and I definitely don't think PB's are any busier right now, they want it to seem like they're booming, it's part of the negotiation process I think. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was talking to my plumber the other day(I did mine as an owner build and dealt directly with him and he's a great guy) who does a ton of work for many of the southern cal big PB's, and he's concerned about his future in the industry with the water situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jacklie View Post
    Inground gunite pool quote that we received.

Rectangular pool 18'x37' that is 3'6"-6' deep
    5'x7' in-pool spa
    Sun shelf
    2 Pool lights, 1 spa light
    Precast coping
    4' salt finish deck around entire pool
    Automation
    Pentair equipment - 3hp VS pump
    Polaris cleaner
    Wet Edge plaster
    Auto cover with "walk on" lid

All this for about $95k in the Bay Area. My yard is flat and easily accessible.

Is this price outrageous? Compared to others parts of the country I feel it is. I've had very similar quotes so I guess this is typical in the area? A few PBs have told me that they are actually busier because of the drought. Maybe that affects the price a bit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
    Do you have it itemized? What was the auto cover, about 15k?

Seems kind of expensive, I'd get a few more bids, and I definitely don't think PB's are any busier right now, they want it to seem like they're booming, it's part of the negotiation process I think. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was talking to my plumber the other day(I did mine as an owner build and dealt directly with him and he's a great guy) who does a ton of work for many of the southern cal big PB's, and he's concerned about his future in the industry with the water situation.

Auto Cover is 13k.

6. Back To Top    #6

The Boston MA area must be the most expensive place on the planet to build a pool. I have 4 PB quotes for similar design except pool is 19x47 with in-pool spa that's 7x7. I'm getting $95K+ quotes with no coping or decking.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir