Rain Fall waterfall for cooling pool

Apr 17, 2013
Kansas
Hello everyone again!

So I'm working out the details of my pool remodel with my pool builder. I'm in Kansas, and sometimes our summers can be like Texas. It isn't uncommon for us to have a solid month or more over 100F. In those hot temps, that is the time I really want to use my pool, and I really want to jump into a cool pool.

In my remodel, I want to address pool temperature. I'd also like to extend the pool days with some heat source, too.

My pool builder mentioned installing a Pentair Ultratemp 140k BTU heat/cool pump. This addresses heating and cooling through efficiency, but isn't exactly considered high performance.

My wife prefers a more "instant gratification" capability by having a dedicated pool heater and something dedicated to cooling. So instead of bumping water temps a couple of degrees per 24 hrs we can jump it in double digits in the same time.

I've also read about products like the Glacier Pool Chillers... sounds like something that could cool a pool here in August.

But then I'm thinking about the waterfall we are installing. It will be 8 ft wide with a 3 ft fall.... in a 30k pool. I used to cool my above-ground pool by rigging up PVC pipe to my water outlets and run them above the pool like a fountain. Running all night helped cool our pool and did a pretty good job.

My question: I'm considering my waterfall to be a rain fall instead of a sheer decent. It seems like that would be a bit more lively, but would also increase the air contact with my waterfall water. Since we will have such a large waterfall, could that be enough to cool my pool in August by running it all night? It seems, in the least, it could help if running that with a Glacier Pool Chiller or with the Pentair Ultratemp. BTW: they will be operating on different pumps.

I'm curious to know what all you experienced pool people think about it.

Would it be enough to use the waterfall with a pool heater to address all my temp needs?

BTW: In August... I'd love it if we could have a pool temp around 82F. Cooler would be even better! Anything above 84F doesn't feel refreshing to me.

Search "pool cooler" on this forum. There are many ideas to keep your pool nice in the hottest Summer. They absolutely work and most of them are DIY free (almost)

I would treat the heating issue separately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.