Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First results on open!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool First results on open!

Folks,

Just hauled the cover off and fired up the pumps. With the SWCG off I get.

FC = 5.5
    CC = 0.5
    TA = 40
    CH = 30
    CYA = 30-35
    PH = 6.8

Borate = 30 (strip)
    Salt = 1700 (cell diagnostics)

Can this be right?!?! The pool looks great! Man if this is where I am starting thank goodness I got that mesh cover!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like I am going to add 180 oz of borax. Should I SLAM anyway?
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First results on open!

Don't try to bring the pH up all at once. Make it a couple of steps. At 6.8 you may actually be well below that.

Bring the CYA up,in a couple of steps also

I would bring the FC up to about 10 and OCLT to see if anything is growing. Why SLAM if it's not needed
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Great suggestions Tim. Thanks!
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to do something with that swamp of yours.

And now for some words of wisdom: the best way to really understand something is to try to explain it to someone else. After seven years and opening to that, I think you've got it pretty well down pat. Time to start answering some questions, JD.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Richard my first year opening like this! And while I'm a 7 year member this is only my 5th year with the pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like an awesome starting point.....
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Lost 0.5 overnight (about 7 hours). Added some chlorine to bring it back up to 13. pH is now holding at 7.5