Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just opened... here's my numbers... Thoughts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Just opened... here's my numbers... Thoughts?

Hi everyone,

I opened about a week ago. The pool was pretty clear and just a little green on the steps. I added five gallons of 12% chlorine and got the pump running. Not much debris thanks to the safety cover... mostly dead worms. I ran the Polaris and that took care of most of the stuff on the bottom.

A week later, my pool is clear and blue. The water looks great. I took a sample and here's my numbers:

FC - 1.0 ppm
    CC - 0.0 ppm
    Ph - 7.4
    TA - 60
    CYA - 0

For some reason, my CYA is always 0 when I open (or non-detect, which I think means it can be up to 20 ppm). Anyway, I have left over pucks left from the prior owner. Should I just use those until my CYA comes up? Is there a danger in doing that? I know my FC is low, but with my CYA so low, I think it's sufficient.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    AO Smith 1 1/2 HP Pump (27GPM)
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

Check out the app I created to control my pool equipment from my smartphone:
    i-created-an-app-to-control-pool-equipment-with-smartphone-t61606-20.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just opened... here's my numbers... Thoughts?

Did you blindly add 5 gallons of chlorine? That is not very TFP-like. You should have followed the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and still may need to.

CYA should not drop like that over the winter. I would add 10ppm of FC and test the FC and CC in 30+ minutes to make sure you are not going to have an ammonia problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, it was un-TFP of me to just dump five gallons in, but I was in the middle of a bunch of different things and figured it would be easier to just let chlorine circulate for a day and then test it. Unfortunately, I didn't get to test if for a week, but I've been keeping my eye on it and everything has been looking good.

I've read that CYA can disappear over winter... what is the ammonia problem you are talking about. I've never heard of that.
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

hopefully yours doesn't have a ammonia problem as that is what seems to be going on with mine, I can add the rec amount of bleach and test a hr later to have no increase on fc, so far I am up to 25 ish gallons of bleach and still only getting 1-2 fc after a hour test
    sj45 swg, tf-100 test kit, 16x32 ig 22,000 gal vinyl, Dolphin nautilus plus

5. Back To Top    #5

Shouldn't my CC be higher if there is an ammonia problem?
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

The CC would only show up after you add more FC. That I why I made the recommendation I did above.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

So if I take it up to 10 ppm FC (adding about 2.5 gallons of 12% to my 30k gallon pool), retest in 30 minutes, and the FC is still at 10 ppm-ish and the CC is still at 0.0 ppm, that would confirm I don't have an ammonia problem, right?
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

correct. And then you should get some CYA in the water and raise the FC level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1120 View Post
    So if I take it up to 10 ppm FC (adding about 2.5 gallons of 12% to my 30k gallon pool), retest in 30 minutes, and the FC is still at 10 ppm-ish and the CC is still at 0.0 ppm, that would confirm I don't have an ammonia problem, right?
    Pretty much. With no CYA, I would expect to see a substantial FC loss. But you will see a steep increase in CC, which should tip you off.

Regarding your use of pucks... they will add CYA, certainly. But they are also very acidic and your TA reading is low. You'll end up driving pH and TA way down, which will then require other chemicals to fix. Plug your numbers into poolmath and then scroll down to "Effects of Adding Chemicals" near the bottom. Most pucks are 8 oz. see what a couple will do to your pH. How much of a savings is it if you need to go buy baking soda and borax?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks... could my CYA be reading low because of the temp of the water? It's been in the high 60's all week. Should I warm the sample up and re-sample just to be sure?
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

CYA test water should be at least 70 degrees.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

I did the test over the weekend and I think I'm okay. I added 2.5 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine, waited 30 minutes and tested. My numbers were: FC: 18 ppm, CC: 0 ppm. I think that means I don't have an ammonia problem.
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

13. Back To Top    #13

Yup, no ammonia for you
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks... it's weird that my CYA is always near zero when I open though.
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner